• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit pre-published ebook

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discontinued my contract with a publisher. I received an email containing my ebook. I want to change the publisher to Independent Publiher and publish through Kindle Direct Publishing. My question is can I edit this ebook through InDesign? I am completely inexperienced with this software and my first effort to edit an ebook.  I would appreciate any information on this issue.

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

InDesign cannot directly edit ePub or PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign cannot directly edit ePub or PDF files.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this is terrible mistake from Adobe. Serif Affinity Publisher and his father PagePlus was always have feutures for import and redact PDF's.

Here the feature request page about it - https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/30985276-co...

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not realy, it does not 'open' them, it converts them, and in that process of conversion looses many things!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The term eBook is a generic name for a number of formats for digital books. If your book, for example, is in the Reflowable ePub format, the name of the publisher could be easily changed, but you (or more likely an expert in HTML and CSS) would need to know how to crack open the ePub and make the change. This can't be done in InDesign. Maybe someone on this forum might offer, possibly for a fee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it an InDesign file? You would know by the .indd file extension

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couple of options:

• If your ebook is an epub file AND it is a reflowable layout (not fixed as in all the layout elements on each page are absolutely positioned): this can be easily edited with the free Sigil epub editor.
    https://sigil-ebook.com/
    Calibre is an alternative which also features a built-in editor for epub and azw3 files.
    https://calibre-ebook.com/

• If your ebook is an epub file AND it is NOT reflowable, but rather a fixed layout epub (all pages contain of absolutely positioned elements that are fixed in place and do not reflow / adjust automatically) then the file can be opened and edited in Jutoh, and resaved.
    http://www.jutoh.com/

If your ebook file is saved as a PDF and you only need to edit a very small part (such as singular lines of text: the publisher, etc.) then open it in a PDF editor: either Acrobat Pro or PDF Exchange Editor, make the change, and resave.
    Acrobat Pro is part of the CC suite. If you do not have access to Acrobat Pro, an excellent affordable alternative is:
    https://pdf-xchange.eu/pdf-xchange-editor/index.htm

• If you need to make very large changes to an existing PDF, it is probably best to open it in Affinity Publisher and work with that, as suggested earlier.

• If your ebook file is in a different format than either epub or pdf (like mobi or amazon kindle format) it depends what the best workflow is. A mobi can be opened in some editors, but it is probably a good idea to convert to epub with Calibre, and then edit it like above. 
    If your ebook is a fixed layout kindle book, chances are text might have been converted to bitmap images here and there or everywhere. It cannot be easily edited, and the images themselves must be opened in an image editor like Photoshop.

In any case, please provide use with the exact file format that your book is saved in and whether the layout is fixed or reflowable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I find that BBEdit is a good application for editing Reflowable ePubs (Mac only).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines