• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

endnotes hyperlinks?

Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am confused because InDesign apparently does not automatically create hyperlinks for endnote references & the endnote text. (So many documents are published as PDFs or ebooks now, that this seems like a very basic feature to be missing.) Is this correct, or am I m missing something obvious?

Is there a script that will avoid having to link page after page of notes manually?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I make a PDF (Print) file from an InDesign file which uses the Endnotes feature, the endnote references ARE linked to the endnotes at the end.

There is an example below of a file which has both endnotes and footnotes. You can see the endnotes as the red icons when viewing in the Story Editor. They will hyperlink you to the end. If they don't show in the PDF (I don't use EPUBs so can't test there), it may be because when creating the PDF, you didn't check Hyperlinks at the bottom of the General panel in the Export PDF dialog box.

InDesign CC055.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! You prompted me to do more exploration.

The endnote links do function as expected in a full print-quality PDF, but not in a reduced-file-size PDF — even if I  check the option to include Hyperlinks. In that case, manually-generated hyperlinks are included, but not the hyperlinks between reference and endnote.

For most PDFs, the reduced file size is 15%–20% smaller and has excellent quality for on-screen viewing—and that's exactly where the active hyperlinks would be valuable.

Anybody know why InDesign would not include them in the more compact file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part of reducing/optimizing a PDF file can remove the link annotations, which can include the hyperlink information. So, yes, after reducing the PDF's file size you might loose the hyperlinks.

Question: if you want a PDF with clickable hyperlinks on endnotes, footnotes, etc., then why export to a print PDF? Although in theory choosing Print versus Interactive shouldn't make a difference, we've discovered that some of the internal encoding (like this issue) can be incorrect in a "print" PDF versus an "interactive" PDF.

You might want to export to an interactive PDF with reduced resolution (we recommend no lower than 150 ppi for today's digital devices), and check the export option to make hyperlinks.

If you need a PDF for print, then make another version with the settings specifically for print/press, such as a higher resolution, bleeds, CMYK colorspace, and no hyperlinks.

Only takes a couple of seconds to export two different PDFs for two different purposes.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haven’t the faintest idea, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an additional question about this feature.  I can go from text to the endnote by clicking on the endnote number.  The question is: the endnote number is not a hyperlink so how do I get back to where I was before I clicked the endnote number??  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

linking from an endnote number to the endnote text and backlinking from the number in the endnote text to the page of the endnote will work with some minimum export settings when exporting to PDF (Print). But the backlinking could also be non-functional, if the endnote number in the endnote text is formatted.

See my bug report for more details what is working and what is an issue:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/42062446-text-formattin...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe,

Thanks - your supposition is right on the money.  I tried it out and as long as I don't format the endnote number in the endnotes, everything works (going from main to endnote and vice-versa).  But the moment I format the endnote number, even if just reduce the font size, things stop working (I can go from main to endnote but not vice-versa).  This is definitely an InDesign bug and I hope some mandarin of Adobe is monitoring this forum and will take steps to fix this issue.

I am a newbie to INDD so is it possible for you to tell me in simple steps how to fix this issue?  I have 5 books I need to fix, maybe a total of about 1500 endnotes.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

Just uploaded the file here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1exkp0evZBr1MY8iJdUeL5Z3hXTBID6FM/view?usp=sharing

I will also vote at the UserVoice - thanks for your help and pointers.  I appreciate it 🙂

Mahendra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mahendra5E19,

could you supply one sample document with some endnotes?
Just a couple of pages will do. Put the file on Dropbox or a similar service and provide a download link.

I will look into your issue.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mahendra5E19,

and please do not forget to vote for fixing the bug at UserVoice!

You said: "This is definitely an InDesign bug and I hope some mandarin of Adobe is monitoring this forum and will take steps to fix this issue." InDesign UserVoice is the key here. Not this forum.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just added the idea - no idea when will it get processed and posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mahendra5E19,

quoting myself from the bug report:

WHAT FINALLY WORKED:

[4] Character style applied as nested style through the applied paragraph style:

Character style to 1 tabulator character

I had success with this strategy:

[1] Applied a unique paragraph style to the endnote texts.

[2] In that paragraph style I defined a nested style to format the endnote number in the endnote text.

I used the first tabulator character in the paragraph to define the end of that character style.

It depends on the contents of your endnote texts if this will work in your case. Maybe you have no tab character in the endnote text? Maybe there are more than one paragraphs for one endnote text? Etc.pp.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, no TAB character + many endnotes are in multi-paragraph mode.  Too many complications!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mahendra5E19,

I worked with your document you provided. Tab characters in the endnote texts were there so my solution with one paragraph style with a nested style did work very well. Did not have the right fonts, but all in all it worked: linking of endnote reference number to endnote texts and backlinking endnote number in endnote texts to the page with the endnote reference number.

Some screenshots from my German InDesign below.

Definition of the nested style for the endnote numbers in the endnote texts:

ParaStyle-Endnote-EDITED-01.PNG

Definition of the character style applied through the nested style:

AppliedCharacterStyle-Through-NestedStyle-03.PNG

AppliedCharacterStyle-Through-NestedStyle-02.PNG

Here the result, the exported PDF:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9o0xlxpzhhi9ebu/Therigatha-Master.pdf?dl=1

Note: I did not substitute all missing fonts, just the one with the paragraph style for the endnote texts.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

// EDITED BECAUSE OF SOME TYPOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is wonderful, Uwe.  By the way, these books are for free distribution so you have also earned merits by helping in a meritorious activity. 

Adobe should hire more people like you who can think out-of-box and get problems solved!  I will try this out and if I run into any issues, I will let you know.  Thanks again.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Uwe,

Just wanted to let you know that everything's good.  Everything's working as you suggested so no need to look into anything.  Many thanks my friend and much merits to you.  Kind regards.

Mahendra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

I am back because of some troubles.  I created two formats as you suggested: Endnote-Para Style and Endnote-Char Style.  I did not do the 75% - 75% - 1.7 (your last screenshot).  The Endnote numbers are working and I can even add TABs where the multi-para endnotes need it.  What I can't do is this:

(1) I can't make my endnote numbers at the end superscript (I would like them to be identical in the main text and the endnote text).  In fact, I can't do anything to endnote numbers - change colors, fonts, font size, anything.  I see in your output, you could make the Endnote numbers BOLD.  If I try to do that, the whole text (numbers and endnote) become BOLD.  Is this normal?  Or am I doing something wrong and missing something obvious?  Thanks for any guidance you can give.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to add another issue: the hyperlinks I have in the endnotes, they all become black.  I noticed in your PDF, they stayed BLUE.  So definitely something's going on my side in terms of definition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines