• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extendscript Toolkit debugger fails on Mac: Can't start debug session

Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting from this morning I get the Error Message "(#1116) Can't start debug session." on my Mac for any target / Application.

ESTK 4.0.0.1

MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)

Scrips are running, but the message is annoying. Any Ideas?

I had some minor security Updates on my Mac today. This guy on debugging - Extendscript Toolkit debugger fails: Can't start debug session - Stack Overflow  has the same problem starting from today. Anyone encountering this problem as well?

TOPICS
Performance , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

OK, I have a more official fix, please give it a try:

So a possible workaround is to suggest the following to users

1.       Open the file(Mac): “/Applications/Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit CC/ExtendScript Toolkit.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Required/cdic/11BTBackend.jsx”

2.       Search for the value: 604800000 (line reads bt.timeout = 604800000)

3.       Replace that value with 604800 and save

4.       Quit ExtendScript Toolkit and relaunch.

A handful of third-party developers have verified this works.

H

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A follow-up with my tests:

ESTK 3.5.0.52, 3.6.0.2, 3.8.0.12, 4.0.0.1: Target: ExtendScript Toolkit

Error message with #1116 showing up. Code was not executed.

Tried to rename some files in the Finder.

ESTK 3.0.0.41: Target: ExtendScript Toolkit

No problem at all.

Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since my ESTK 3.0.0.41 is not able to see InDesign CS5, CS5.5 and CS6 all that versions are currently not scrictable on my OSX 10.11.6 through the ExtendScript Toolkit.

Tried the hack by Kris with ESTK 4.0.0.1.

The hack was successful. The message window is gone, yes, but as Peter Bornhall already said:
The error code still displays in the bottom status box.

And therefore the code will not be executed to targets: CS5, CS5.5, CS6 and the ExtendScript Toolkit itself.

It will be executed to Targets: CC, CC 2014, CC 2015.4, CC 2017.1, CC 2018.1 and I guess also to CC 2019, but this version cannot be installed on my old system 10.11.6.

So the only chance to workaround the issue is to reset the system time.

What I will not do. For CS6 I'm switching to my Windows 10 machine.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ErinF  schrieb

I tried using #targetengine "debug" and it seemed the same as just running the script and dismissing the error the first time. I got the error again the next time I ran the script or stepped forward...

Can you be a little more specific about what you're doing drerol74 ?

I am currently using (the same) targetengine to avoid the error message, but maybe I'm just having luck with my system:

MacOS 10.12.6

InDesign CC 2018

ESTK 4.0.0.1

Roland

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might as well make a plug for my

GitHub - Trevor-/CSTK: Adobe HTML extension Console for js, jsx and shell and extensions development...

and the easier to use

GitHub - Trevor-/console

Can provide a bit of relief and possibly more useful than the original InDesign CS built-in script debugger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing the 'mainengine' 1116 message in Bridge CC 6.1.1.10 and 2017 in os x.

The message does not display as I run jsx scripts in Photoshop (Thankfully).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I have a more official fix, please give it a try:

So a possible workaround is to suggest the following to users

1.       Open the file(Mac): “/Applications/Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit CC/ExtendScript Toolkit.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Required/cdic/11BTBackend.jsx”

2.       Search for the value: 604800000 (line reads bt.timeout = 604800000)

3.       Replace that value with 604800 and save

4.       Quit ExtendScript Toolkit and relaunch.

A handful of third-party developers have verified this works.

Here's the cause of the error:

It looks like an issue because of signed 32-bit integer overflow that happens on this date “19 Nov 2018”.

In the implementation in the ESTK jsx file “/Applications/Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit CC/ExtendScript Toolkit.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Required/cdic/11BTBackend.jsx”, there is a timeout specified in milliseconds

“bt.timeout = 604800000;   // a week in milliseconds”.

The current time is(time(NULL)) since EPOCH: 1542783918 seconds.

Adding:  1542783918 + 604800000 = 2147583918(which crosses the range of 32 bit integer(2,147,483,647).)

Looks like it was a mistake putting 3 zeroes at the end because in BridgeTalk code... it expects timeout in seconds and not milliseconds. So bt.timeout should be 604800 and that will fix the overflow issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will there be an Update or does every User has to Google for this fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're talking about an update, but it will take a while to arrange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix is working fine for me. Thanks Erin for tracking the issue down so quickly.

-- Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What if you don't have (or want) ExtendScript Toolkit installed? Where is it pulling this value from? Trying to fix it on my machine without ExtendScript Toolkit.

For context had to uninstall it as it was causing issues opening itself on #.write() lines

edit: i'm writing and debuggin in VS Code with the ExtendScript Debug plugin installed.

edit 2: I've found the local file location for VS Code Extensions:  ~/. vscode/extensions (must turn on hidden files)

- Located the described files, filed under node_modules/@esdebug/esdebugger-core/win then both /x32 and /x64
- Both already have the appropriate 604800 code applied.

edit 3: looks like it was my debug config in VS Code via the ExtendScript Debug config. Needed an option for "Current file" 
added this to the launch.json under the config array. 

{

"type": "extendscript-debug",

"request": "launch",

"name": "Current file",

"program": "${file}",

"stopOnEntry": false

},

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for quick help! I appreciate that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Erin. The issue wasnt a show-stopper, but a bit annoying!!

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm that this fix works fine in ESTK 3.5 as well, very nice to have a fix for this! Thanks Erin!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of us who are only semi literate, can you explain how to open the .jsx file contained in the Application file in step 1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Navigate to the location  /Applications/Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit CC
  • Inside this folder you will see the ExtendScript Toolkit application icon, right click it and select "Show Package Contents". See the following screenshot
  • Now you will see the Contents folder and now you can navigate to the jsx file mentioned in the previous post that needs editing, open it edit it as instructed

Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 11.16.41 pm.png

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a developer, but a user who is missing their scripts! I can find the line of code and make the change, but am unable to save the change. I get this error below. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist!

Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 8.27.46 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kristen,

before doing any changes quit the ESTK.

Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ESTK must not run when doing the changes.

Use a text editor like TextEdit set to text only.

Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Uwe. I knew I was doing something wrong that had a simple fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kristen,

That looks like a file permission issue (perhaps).

We have a different fix we were trying out yesterday. Open Terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal) and paste in these two commands:

sudo sed s/604800000/604800/g /Applications/Adobe\ ExtendScript\ Toolkit\ CC/ExtendScript\ Toolkit.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Required/cdic/11BTBackend.jsx > /Applications/Adobe\ ExtendScript\ Toolkit\ CC/ExtendScript\ Toolkit.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Required/cdic/11BTBackend_temp.jsx

... hit return (or enter) then paste in:

mv /Applications/Adobe\ ExtendScript\ Toolkit\ CC/ExtendScript\ Toolkit.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Required/cdic/11BTBackend_temp.jsx /Applications/Adobe\ ExtendScript\ Toolkit\ CC/ExtendScript\ Toolkit.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Required/cdic/11BTBackend.jsx

If you get a password prompt, you'll need to put in your password for your Mac (note that password won't show up as you type). That should work, but if it doesn't, it may be that you're not an administrator of your computer (for example, your computer is managed by your workplace), in that case you'll need to get someone with admin privileges to help out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Erin - that worked like a charm. My scripts are now working and all is right with the world...well, my piece of the world anyway.

Thank you!

Kristen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyouthankyouthankyou. Adobe support has been zero help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Today we posted a glimpse of the future of ExtendScript development. We're sharing a feature list and screenshots of our upcoming VScode plugin that will replace some of the ESTK functionality:  https://medium.com/adobetech/the-future-of-extendscript-development-a-vscode-plugin-2d8d0172a357

If you'd like monthly email updates about CC developer/script-er, we have also have a newsletter.

Thanks for your patience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines