• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

False alarm for missing times new roman and arial fonts

Enthusiast ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting a problem with a document where the preflight is telling me that "Times New Roman" and "Arial" is missing in a pdf imported. However, I have these fonts installed in my system. I was getting this error in version cc 2017 and I am getting this error in version cc 2018 as well. What should I do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indd to idml, than open idml and save as indd and try again.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you create the PDF yourself, using Times New Roman and Arial fonts that are installed in your system? If you got the PDF from someone else or somewhere else, the PDF may have a different version of those fonts, even though the font names are the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Barbara+Ash  wrote

Did you create the PDF yourself, using Times New Roman and Arial fonts that are installed in your system? If you got the PDF from someone else or somewhere else, the PDF may have a different version of those fonts, even though the font names are the same.

No. I downloaded it from the internet. Now what should I do to make sure that the versions are same or let indesign know that the version conflict does not matter?

George_Salnik  wrote

indd to idml, than open idml and save as indd and try again.

It did not work with idml. I am still getting the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

arjun2  wrote

… No. I downloaded it from the internet. …

Hi arjun,

the problem—missing font—should be solved at the source. It's no "false alarm" at all, I think.

Open the PDF in Acrobat Pro and check if any font is embedded. If not you have a big problem.
You could try to substitute the missing font with another one, but basically from that step on you are fully responsible for the results.

Best would be to order a new PDF where the fonts are embedded.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible to change the font in a pdf if you have Adobe Acrobat (not just Reader), which you probably do.

Open the pdf in Acrobat.

In the right hand panel, click on Edit PDF

With Edit selected at the top of the window, you will be able to select text and change the font in the right hand panel.

Changing the font in a pdf is sometimes tricky busines as it can change line breaks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Barbara+Ash  wrote

… Changing the font in a pdf is sometimes tricky busines as it can change line breaks.

I can confirm this, Barbara.

And you have to proofread the PDF very closely.

Had the case where a Minion Pro was sneaked in surprisingly, an unwanted substitute for a bullet character when I tried to change text formatting with Adobe Acrobat Pro not using Minion Pro.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another approach you could try would be to open the pdf in Acrobat, choose File > Export To > Microsoft Word. Edit the font in Word and re-create the pldf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another option is to convert the fonts to outlines in the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines