• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fillable Text Form Created in Indesign, Not Filling Correctly in Preview

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a fillable form in Indesign with several text boxes. When I export as an interactive pdf and test it out, everything works fine—I'm able to type in the text field and when I get to the end of the text box the text wraps and continues on the next line. When I get to the bottom of the text box I can continue to type and the box will scroll downward. However, as soon as I share this form with anyone else the text boxes stop working correctly. Other people are able to write in the text box but the text only appears in the middle of the text box and no longer wraps. There have been similar (but slightly different) issues when people have tried to fill it in with Acrobat or other pdf readers.

Due to the age of my computer, I am using Indesign CC 2019. Could this affect the compatibility with Preview? Or is there an issue with how I am exporting? Any help with this is much appreciated!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Thanks! I actually got it to work in Preview by clicking the "multiline" checkbox in "buttons and forms". I somehow missed that originally and just had "scrollable" checked. So far, seems to have fixed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

So sorry to hear about this trouble. This is an expected behavior in Preview as it is not a PDF editor. Would you mind elaborating the issues you are facing with Acorbat? Will it be possible to share a few screenshots, PDF and InDesign file?

We’re here to help, just need more info.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! I actually got it to work in Preview by clicking the "multiline" checkbox in "buttons and forms". I somehow missed that originally and just had "scrollable" checked. So far, seems to have fixed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A PDF form will only work reliably in Adobe Reader or Acrobat. "Compatibility with Preview" has never been solid. If you are designing a form that will go to many users on various platforms that you can't control, it would be best to abandon PDF and use HTML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines