Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find and replace a footnote inside punctuation

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Is there any way of finding and replacing footnotes inside punctuation with the same number footnote outside the punctuation? I don't mind doing separate find and replaces for all conceivable types of punctuation (full stops, commas, exclamation and question marks) but if I have to do it all manually it's going to take days as there are thousands of footnotes and almost all of them have been placed inside punctuation, i.e. footnote then full stop rather than the footnote after the full stop. I know there is a GREP to find the footnotes but I can't find a way of getting it to replace the footnote with the same footnote, or of leaving the footnote and moving the punctuation. Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

try this grep

find:

(~F)([[:punct:]])

change to

$2$1

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try this grep

find:

(~F)([[:punct:]])

change to

$2$1

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Someone else suggested:

(~F)([.,?!~e])

As ([[:punct:]]) includes all punctuation signs including emdashes and parentheses which you might not want replacing.

Anyway, I thought I'd put this up as it's useful to have both options for anyone else that has the same problem.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Vladan (and hello all!),

I have the reverse problem, and... I set the grep ([.,])(~ F) (but also your ([[:punct:]])(~F) ), and this correctly finds the expressions. But with $2$1 (or in no other way) it is impossible to move the note marker, which now appears into text as <?>. What am I doing wrong? (win10, indd 15.1.1). I'm really envying the result of your animation... Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't do anything wrong
Unfortunately it is a malicious bug that has practically always been present in indesign.
You should report it here
https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

we hope adobe engineers will soon find the solution to this problem.

In addition to what I have written before, you can work around this problem with script.

With script everything works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Witth a script (find/replacce grep) I have the <?> bug. How do you solve it?

Thanks

Christian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines