• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font outline issue

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i have problem outlining fonts in Indesign. 

This is how font should look like :right.png

This is how font looks like when i use InDesign’s transparency flattener method:

txtoutlines2.png

This is what happens:

wrong.jpg

If you can see the rounded parts of the font are now sharpened and cropped. 

My question is why is that happening?

I cant use outline method by CTRL+SHIFT+O, because i have 40 pages document so i cant outline every page by one.

Thank you

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Performance , Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you confirm the version of the software you use and the operating system you are running?

Also, can you include a screenshot of the Strokes panel with all options visible? it looks like some corner 'effect' is applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its font so there is not any strokes options applied. This is how it looks in my Indesign i havent changed anything since.

TAH.JPG

I have Windows 10 Pro and Indesign version 15.0,1, 64 bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you doing this? There is no legitimate reason for it beyond doing so for simple artistic effects. A 40 page document? Never!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to export PDF for print with outlined fonts, thats why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No...you need to find a new printer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just outline the fonts in Acrobat after you have created the PDF. It causes far less problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But WHY are you doing this anyway?? There is no need, and if so, do it in Acrobat Pro. But again, why? I can't think of any reason to outline 40 pages, or even 1...!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are sending it to China for printing, its manual for products we ship here so they need it outlined, its required.

Also when i outline it in Acrobat it makes the same issue.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But will they actually reject the job? As long as the font doesn’t have a copyright restriction it will be embedded with the PDF. You can doublecheck the font embedding via Document Properties>Fonts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You get what you pay for.

You'll never get this to look great doing this and you're going to blow up the file size in the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you convert text to outlines you loose the font’s builtin hinting which is used for display or printing at low resolutions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font_hinting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Despite how it seems, transparency flattener is NOT a tool for converting text to outlines. Choosing "Convert all text to outlines" is not a way of converting all text to outlines. Only text that needs to be converted to make transparency flattening work will be converted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't outline fonts through InDesign.

Outline the fonts in the PDF using the PDF Preflight Tools

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 16.47.02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sir, this finally helped

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it’s worth keeping the outlining "requirement" in perspective. It’s a hangover from pre-PDF (1990s) workflows where missing fonts in a packaged job created huge headaches and costs—many printers have never updated their guides. I would be surprised if your PDF gets rejected if it contains embedded fonts. If there's no proof before going to press, then maybe you would not want to risk some unknown problem with embedded fonts, but then outlining could also produce some unexpected result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless they open the PDFs in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"You can also do it through PDF Transparency flattener without using the preflight. " As has been already discussed, this only flattens text if it is needed for transparency flattening. It's not made to outline all text. If it works reliably for you that's great, but you're lucky, and it can't be recommended.

However, the original poster didn't like the fonts when they were outlined in ANY method (InDesign or Acrobat). The problem is, they wanted the impossible: outlining with no loss of quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also do it through PDF Transparency flattener without using the preflight. I have used this method for printers that have needed outlined fonts and has worked without any problems.

Screenshot 2021-03-12 at 09.23.45.png

 

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines