• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fonts not recognized when opening InDesign Doc created by a Mac user on a Windows PC

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I continuosly run into the problem:  when I open a InDesign Doc that our designer has created (he works on a mac) it tells me that the fonts are missing, which isnt true. But I have noticed, the fonts have a different name on the Mac - Therefore the Windows system doesnt do the right matching and I have to do it manually each time. Any tips how I can get make the systems match?

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the same fonts in Opentype format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob's steering you right.

While Postscript and TrueType fonts may appear to be the same, they are more than slightly-differently named between Mac and Windows platforms; they are different files for each platform. Which is why you have to match them up every time you or your designer open and change a file.

For this reason and many others, like Adobe Systems will be dropping support for Postscript fonts later this year, you want to be working with OpenType format fonts. OpenType actually does use the same font, and the same file, to render type on the Mac And Windows platforms.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Randy,

We had a discussion in this forum recently about whether Adobe is dropping PostScript fonts. To be clear, only Photoshop has announced it is dropping support for PostScript fonts. No announcement has been made about InDesign or Illustrator dropping PostScript font support. 

If it happens (which I'm not opposed to), I think users need to be given a year or more of notice so they have time to get replacement fonts, and such announcement needs wide notice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the clarification.

While I'd agree that it'd be nice if users got a year or two's notice — heck, Adobe actually gave us three years notice that Flash would die — I don't know if proclaiming its end date or letting it die from a thousand cuts is the future for Postscript fonts. I know the future will be better, but I grew into this business with the advent of Postscript printer language. I'm gonna kinda miss things as they go.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

While it may be true that Adobe's offering a two-year grace period to pull the plug on Type 1 fonts, it looks like they're willing to "entice" the living heck out of us to give up now.

I opened a file with InDesign today and got the following bon mot:

1.jpg

I think, rather than death by a thousand cuts, this may turn into a slasher film ...

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact, earlier this week, Adobe has announced the end of support for Type 1 fonts for authoring (including new content and editing existing content) in January 2023. See https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/kb/postscript-type-1-fonts-end-of-support.html

This “end of support” does not affect PostScript (including EPS) or PDF. Existing content in EPS and PDF with embedded Type 1 fonts will continue to be able to be placed in InDesign, Illustrator, and FrameMaker documents and such documents will be able to be properly displayed, printed, exported to PDF, and saved without any issues.

Acrobat will continue to fully support Type 1 fonts embedded or referenced in PDF files.

You should begin to see warnings in InDesign if you are in fact using any Type 1 fonts in documents that you are editing such that you may hasten the transition to equivalent OpenType CFF fonts.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait a minute. Let me get this right.

This is going to be like Flash — at the appointed time, Adobe apps are just going to turn these fonts off? You can place the old stuff you've done with those fonts if they're embedded, but you won't be able to create new stuff anymore?

What's going to keep the trains running on time?

/s

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct! And don't be surprised if you see similar announcements from Apple and Microsoft in the not too distant future. At least we are providing two year notice. Photoshop already has eliminated Type 1 font support.

(Don't shoot the messenger! I didn't make that decision!)

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think it's time to let go of Type 1 fonts, and I'm glad that there  will be 2-year notice.

Having warnings pop up in InDesign (and hopefully other apps like Illustrator) is a good idea since not everyone keeps up with the latest news.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines