• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Footnote numbering problem across sections

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, I have made sure that Restart Numbering Every: in Footnote Options is NOT selected. I have a multi-section document. Footnotes start with "1" when I need continuous footnote numbering throughout the document. Is there a way to set a unique start number for each section?

Footnote Options.png

is NOT selected.

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. In footnote options set Restart Numbering Every to Section.

ft1.png

Then, select the first page of the new section in the Pages panel. Right click > Numbering and Section Options. Enable to Start Section checkbox.

ft2.png

The footnotes will start over at 1 on that page. Repeat for as many sections as you have in the doc.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb, thanks for the response, but I wasn't clear in what I'm asking. I don't want footnote numbering to start at 1 with each section. Starting with the first footnote in chapter 1, I want a continuous 1–... ending with the final chapter footnote. That's why I didn't check the Restart Numbering Every: box. From what I read, this should give me the count I want, but it doesn't. I'm wondering if I'm leaving something out. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ronnie:

My apologies. I totally misunderstood the question.

Footnotes will automatically start at 1 for each new story.

You can move all the stories into a single thread and then the numbers will increment correctly. Use Keep settings to force the titles of each section to the top of the next right page so that the text flows the same way it's flowing now, but in a single threaded story.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was afraid I would get the single-thread answer. 😞 But, why then have Restart Numbering Every: Page/Spread/Section if section is the default that can't be overwritten? The selection should just be Page/Spread. Right? Sorry for the rant. You've been a help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines