• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Footnotes at bottom of paragraph rather than at bottom of page

Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, does anyone know how I can get footnote #1 to show up with footnote #2 at the bottom of the page? I have "span columns" turned on. Thank you in advance!

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Wait. Why can't you set this up as a two-column frame with span applied to the first paragraph? In my example below, I have one text frame and I added a pale yellow background for clarity.

~Barb 

footnote.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With span columns on, you can't. That's just how it works, and it's pretty dumb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even with span footnotes checked off, the footnotes still stick to that text box rather than where they should go.... so frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, why actually use a separate text frame for that (seeing as you're using span columns)?

Anyway, I think your best bet here is to fake the first footnote. Just put a superscript 1 in the top frame, and then add footnote 1 somewhere before footnote 2 in the main text and hide the footnote 1 reference...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you TAW! That gave me an idea... I'm switching this page to 1 text box with 1 column which puts the footnotes where they should be. Then to get the second column, I'm going to add a photo with a text wrap. Jumping hoops.... but it looks good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait. Why can't you set this up as a two-column frame with span applied to the first paragraph? In my example below, I have one text frame and I added a pale yellow background for clarity.

~Barb 

footnote.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great tip! I didn't know this was a possibility. Thank you Barb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Melissa:

That's how I'd approach this layout. If you have any additional questions about it, of course just ask us. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines