Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Google Fonts and kerning

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day.

Our office (Mac and PC) has just made the switch to Google fonts for ALL of our work. I won't go into the long, sad story.

Open Sans Regular is the font for body copy. Using Metrics or Optical for Kerning does not seem to produce a good result. Neither do the Spacing or Scaling settings in Justification.

I've looked online and can't find any information on kerning for Google fonts. My feeling is kerning has not been a consideration so what we see is what we get.

Thoughts?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, we'd really need to see some screenshots at the very least along with better descriptions of the issues. I'm a fan of Google Fonts...for the web, but I don't get why you'd use them instead of Adobe's offerings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm with you on using Adobe fonts but this was a corporate (government office) decision (meaning no one who knows better was asked).

We are now restricted to 3 google fonts (not a typeface with a variety of fonts but just a single font) which means we're going to have to get very creative with our software in order to make our work look as good as it should.

I've done some testing with InDesign's Justification settings and have managed to get a reasonable result but I still suspect that Google fonts have little, if any, metrics built into them.

I've set Justification settings to more extreme glyph scaling and have increased word spacing. The results aren't great but better. It's just not as polished as the Myriad Pro typeface we used previously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines