Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Graphic frame: can't make background transparent

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! INDD user of many years here, but this problem is new to me:

I imported a vector image from Illustrator. The frame in INDD is transparent, and there's no white background to my imported vector. But there's a white background in the image when I import into INDD.
In attached image, I circled the frame with the white background - needs to have a transparent background.
Any clues why? Thanks so much in advance!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

When you choose File > Place and select the Illustrator file, choose Show Import Options.

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 8.33.42 PM.png

In the resulting Place PDF dialog (InDesign uses PDF for a preview), check Transparent Background as shown above.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you choose File > Place and select the Illustrator file, choose Show Import Options.

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 8.33.42 PM.png

In the resulting Place PDF dialog (InDesign uses PDF for a preview), check Transparent Background as shown above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, that was a lifesaver - thank you very much. I must have un-clicked that option by accident at some point.

Really appreciate it! Have a great week!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have imported a jpeg with a white background into my indd doc. i cannot figure out how to remove the background to transparent. i read your help from January, but it is just not working for me. please advise. many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kim from Kansas
the screenshot above is for PDF/Illustrator files.

For jpegs or any other kind of image file you need to look into Photoshop and how to remove backgrounds there.

There are a dozen ways: From easy to complex, from good to bad – all depending on the image you have.

If you just need a quick fix – set the image in the InDesign Effects panel to Multipy.
BUT this will literaly multiply ALL colors with the background you have. So if you have a e.g. gray object within the image on a blue background, that gray object becomes also blueish.

Keep that in mind – multiply is affecting the whole image, not just the white background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines