• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hanging Indent plus Left Justify makes words float out of text frame

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often use bulleted lists with the commmand/backslash (hanging indent) tool. If the text is aligned left, no problem. But when I use left justify, it sends some of the words off to the right — outside of the text frame! Please see examples below.

I cannot find a fix for this or imagine why it's happening. I can only figure that it is a bug. Is anyone else having this problem? I haven't been able to find any other record of it in my searches.

I've been having this problem for a while. Before I updated to InDesign 2018 and after the update as well. I'm running El Capitan 10.11.6 on a Mid 2011 iMac.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 1.32.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 1.33.25 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Obviously there are problems with Wingdings, Wingdings 2, Wingdings 3 and Webdings fonts. If I replace the Wingdings character with something else, e.g. character \x{2192} from Adobe Sans Serif Black, there is no issue at all with the paragraph composer.

And for all who want to vote for fixing the bug a report is done here:

Hanging Indent plus Left Justify makes words float out of text frame – Adobe InDesign Feedback

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's odd and I really can't give you coherent explanation for it. Have you considered setting a regular hanging indent with a left indent and negative first line indent? Benefits being:

1. It won't do that (good enough for me!);
  2. You don't have to manually add the Indent to Here character for each paragraph and
  3. You can save the custom bullet and hanging indent as a paragraph style for 1-click formatting.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Barb. You make some good points!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the sort of bug that occurs with the Adobe World-ready Paragraph Composer.

Are you using the Middle Eastern version of InDesign.

If you place the text cursor in some of that text, and go to the flyout of the Control Panel menu, you can see which paragraph composer is being used (Singe Line, Paragraph, or (for ME versions of ID) World-Ready Single or World-Ready Paragraph). Which is it?

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tá´€W  wrote

It looks like the sort of bug that occurs with the Adobe World-ready Paragraph Composer. …

Yeah. Had the same thought, Ariel.
And for this kind of text the Adobe Paragraph Composer could be used.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, interestingly enough, the text samples I sent were using Adobe Paragraph Composer. But! When I switched it to World-Ready it fixed it! So kind of opposite of what you thought, but still a fix. Thank you so much! (Using US Version, not ME)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how I would go about reporting this as a bug to Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lewis,

I hope, you still have the sample document showing the bug.

You can report it here:

Adobe InDesign: Bugs: Hot (752 ideas) – Adobe InDesign Feedback

Supply screenshots. Also ask for an address you can send the document to so that a developer can see into it.

And give a link to this thread here.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Uwe! I'll do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still wonder why this happens. Personally I did never see that with my documents.

Could you make a snippet of the text frame available for download?
Select the frame and export it as idms file. Upload it to a service like Dropbox and post the link here.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2018 Mar 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lewis,

just began to test your snippet.
Wow. I can already see this behavior with InDesign CS6 8.1.0.

After duplicating the text to a different text frame:

ComposerBug-HangingIndent-1.png

Will come back if I find anything but changing the composer for making that issue go away.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2018 Mar 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. If you dismiss the special character \x{0007} Indent Here Tab and do a paragraph indent and negative indent for the first line of the paragraph you should be ok with the Adobe Paragraph Composer.

ComposerBug-HangingIndent-2.png

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Tested a bit more.

I think the problem lies in the formatting of the special character Indent Here Tab after the Wingdings character.

If I format the character with Arial Narrow Regular the problem goes away. As soon if Arial Narrow Bold is used the issue is there.

TwoCharacters-ArialNarrowBold.png

TwoCharacters-ArialNarrowRegular.png

EDIT: However, that's also true with the white space character in front of the special character.
Change formatting to Arial Narrow Regular ( while leaving Bold to the special character ) and the problem goes away.

A very strange case, indeed…

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can recreate the problem with a combination of Wingdings plus Source Sans Pro Bold. In the moment I add the special character Indent Here Tab the paragraph composer is showing the issue:

WingdingsPlusSourceSansProBold.png

If one of the two characters following the Wingdings character is formatted with "Regular" the issue is gone.
Or if the "A" from Access is formatted with "Regular".

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously there are problems with Wingdings, Wingdings 2, Wingdings 3 and Webdings fonts. If I replace the Wingdings character with something else, e.g. character \x{2192} from Adobe Sans Serif Black, there is no issue at all with the paragraph composer.

And for all who want to vote for fixing the bug a report is done here:

Hanging Indent plus Left Justify makes words float out of text frame – Adobe InDesign Feedback

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe, you're spot on about all of this. So strange! Good to know the combinations of things that make it happen—a combination I use often but might be quite rare! Thank you for adding the info to the bug report and for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lewis,

so we have several workarounds for that issue.

Don't know if using the World-Ready Paragraph Composer is the best one.
I doubt that, because I've seen also some issues with that when it comes to text composition:
Subtle shifts and not so subtle ones of glyphs leaving gaps inside of words.

A comment by Ariel here:

Re: Hebrew font spacing problem

One example I just inspected that Martin Fischer—a colleague at hilfdirselbst.ch—provided:

MisalignedGlyph-WorldreadyParagraphComposer-1.png

The same screen shot where I marked the problem cases:

MisalignedGlyph-WorldreadyParagraphComposer-2.png

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great troubleshooting on this bug, Uwe!

And I have voted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines