• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has Indesign become unusable?

Guide ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coming from the 2022 version 17.x, I today installed the latest 19.3 just to see this:

DocMaik_0-1711102728816.png

Just started, no document open, keeps going like this for hours.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

@Doc Maik 

Have you seen this thread - this is VERY interesting reply:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/high-cpu-usage-while-idle-indesign-2021-2022-2023-2024-versions/m-p/14223182#M549966

Also, your % use of the CPU will depend on how many cores you have - and if your CPU is HT capable.

Can you let us know your EXACT configuration?

CPU, RAM, HDD/SSD, Network, external devices, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm already on it. Perhaps 2 hours suffice, like with

After letting ID 2024 do whatever it absolutely needs to do while burning around 15/20% of CPU for around 2 hours yesterday, it can finally stay idle with less than 0.5% of CPU (0% most of the time in fact).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After letting ID 2024 do whatever it absolutely needs to do while burning around 15/20% of CPU for around 2 hours yesterday, it can finally stay idle with less than 0.5% of CPU (0% most of the time in fact).

By @Doc Maik

Maybe it needs more?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Doc Maik

Can you post detailed list of processes related to InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Doc Maik 

And it looks like you are downloading a lot:

RobertTkaczyk_0-1711449897705.png

Is it something that you are downloading?

If not - maybe it's something that InDesign is still loading and processing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's just internet radio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spontaneous self-healing?

DocMaik_0-1711450107238.png

If I close ID 2024 after that and start again, it does go down quicker to <3%. Similar to ID 2022. Problem seems solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spontaneous self-healing?

DocMaik_0-1711450107238.png

If I close ID 2024 after that and start again, it does go down quicker to <3%. Similar to ID 2022. Problem seems solved.

By @Doc Maik

After what? 

Those 2h helped?

Or it's still busy when iddling - even after 10+ minutes? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Less than 2h.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Less than 2h.

By @Doc Maik

Great. 

Now it would be interesting to know WHAT EXACTLY InDesign is doing after installation...

But that can be answered only by someone from Adobe...

Unless some "regular user" had too much time and run debugger. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,  🙂 I am glad that the problem was detected and confirmed after a long time. As you said, Adobe needs to inform you about this issue. There should be text in the Splash Screen, such as font scanning.

This should be the question!

What does Indesign 2021 and above versions do at the first startup after installation?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally this problem was confirmed. I'm very happy, I hope Adobe makes a statement about this. By the way, we are trying to be blocked by Adobe. I wrote a comment here because we told the truth, but they deleted many comments, including Ms. Rozy. More people are aware of this problem now, please do not let them hide this problem, I may not be able to write, I think Adobe has started to block the IP address, thank you. I mentioned that Corel company was doing the same thing 🙂 this is really tragicomic. All we did was tell the truth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If comments that were deleted were in this continuing vein of accusation and paranoia, and if (probably after multiple warnings) anyone was blocked from the forum, I can't say as I disapprove. The problem with CPU usage has been known for some time and never, that I have seen, been dismissed or denied by Adobe. It is distressing that it remains persistent across platforms, OS versions and app versions and does not seem to have any easy fix, but as I already asked/pointed out several times — for most users, it seems to be an annoyance of existence on the performance dashboard and not any significant detriment to day to day use of the application.

That annoyance, that background use/waste of resources, does not "make InDesign unusable" — I have yet to see a single post on the topic where someone says "the background use prevents me from getting work done (or even "done efficiently") and repeatedly posting to that end, in accusatory and increasingly paranoid terms, in a user-to-user forum where basically no one here can do more than sympathize with your issues... well, that doesn't leave much to say at this point.

I have my own issues with Adobe apps, including InDesign, and I both report them on the bug forum and maintain a topic or two here noting no correction as of each major version release, just to give the topic a focal point for others. But I don't jump on every relevant thread to excoriate Adobe, or call friends and colleagues in to dump their complaints here, either.

TL;DR? Sorry you're having this persistent issue; glad it does not appear to be actually affecting your productivity; complaining because your pointless complaining is inappropriate here (directed at other users) is not, well, appropriate.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. James, Miss Rozy may have been misunderstood because you do not know what happened in this link. There has been a long-lasting lack of support in this link. There was never a satisfactory response from the developers, a report was written and reports were sent, but I guess what people expected was the message "Yes, we confirm the problem and we started working", but this never happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not an Adobe support site or topic. I don't know what further response you want, here, from other users.

And I have seen multiple acknowledgements of the issue. I am as perplexed as anyone that it has gone unsolved.

I suggest you stop making sock-puppet posts and/or getting everyone you know to post here in support. This is getting downright childish on all levels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there was not enough support on this link.

That's why Ms. Rozy and other users did not receive a satisfactory answer.

We started working on a simple problem, which is what people rightly want, but this word was never used, it has been a long time, please do not make prejudiced comments without reading the comments on this link.

Also, the reason we are commenting here is to support the performance problem. Indesign has never become useless. Indesign is a great program and we want it to stay that way. But performance problems should be fixed in new versions and users should be given a satisfactory answer by Adobe officials.

Actually, the problem has come to light now, I think these comments are enough, the rest is just waiting, I wish you a good day...

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very glad that this problem has been noticed, after a long struggle, it has been noticed by more people, thank you very much. I had to use VPN to enter here, I could not log in to my account, I encountered IP blocking, this is very sad, it is really very sad, thank you, I wish you a good day, I hope all the problems will be solved as soon as possible and Adobe management will learn to respect the users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely the same problem, Adobe should make a statement about this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a performance problem that occurs in versions 2021 and above. After waiting 1-2 hours, the processor returns to normal, then more processor usage is observed than in older versions. This is the case even if you use the old features.

I am using the 2020 version and I am very pleased. I will continue with the old version until this problem is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Time to nail this sock drawer shut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed it is. This "discussion" has run its course and is now locked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines