Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Have image with a figure # and text reference

New Here ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have what will be a very long InDesign document with a LOT of images.  I've just started the document and may need to reorder the images over time.  I need several things:

1. I need each image to have a caption which begins with "Figure 1: blah blah" and if I move the image, the caption should automatically re-number.  I think I have the automatic re-numbering working using paragraph styles, but doing that seems to prohibit the other things I need to do, such as...

2. I need to have each image coupled with an in-text reference, like. "As seen in Figure 1, blah blah blah."  And if I move the image, again, not only would the caption re-number but the in-text reference to it would re-number automatically, too.

3. Finally, that in-text reference should automatically also be a link, so if the text is clicked on, the person shoots down to the referenced image.

Is all this possible in InDesign?  I've been using InDesign for over a decade and never have figured out a way to get all three of these requests to work.  It seems to only offer 1 of the 3 in the current set of tools.

Thanks!!! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David Blatner wrote an article about that in InDesignSecrets.com in 2010. See if this works for you. It looks to me like it should:

https://indesignsecrets.com/figure-numbering-in-indesign-and-cross-references-to-them.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that article comes up no matter what words I type to try and search for my problem.  While it demonstrates cool features, it's not what I'm trying to do, but thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's is NOT doing for you? It's creating figure captions, and it's creating cross-references to them. And when I make a cross-reference and create a PDF file, if you create it correctly (turning on Hyperlink references in a print PDF), it creates a hyperlink.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS - I'd love to hear form someone actually interested in helping me in a polite way!  And with information current to CC 2018.  Thank you, all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, if you interpreted that as being impolite. It does work in InDesign CC 2018, and I just created it.

I just posted a folder containing the InDesign file, linked images and the PDF and I've posted it to Dropbox.

Here is a link to the folder for you to download:

Caption & X-Ref Folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cross-reference is on page one 1:

InDesign CC003.png

It's referring to Figure 3 which is on page 2:

InDesign CC004.png

The paragraph style Captions is using the numbered list to generate the figure number through unlinked frames. It's important thatyou create a List called Figure Captions for it to work. You do this in Type > Bulleted and Numbered Lists > Define Lists.

InDesign CC005.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other notes: The hyperlinks don't work in InDesign. You need to make a PDF and then the hyperlinks are created by the cross-reference.

Here's a tutorial on creating Figure Captions which may help:

Numbered Lists — Part III Figure Captions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, what she, and now I face, is related to what you're trying to help her with, but failed to understand what I am about to add.

I have a document with 42 figures with captions that have references properly linked to those captions. Now if I were to move say, figure 3 to a previous page and insert between figure 1 and 2, this creates a problem that even David Blatner didn't cover. This is important for Adobe experts to finish teaching what they started. I have been searching all day for this answer and found a remote answer telling me I had to un-group caption from the figures and swap them back and forth until they align numerically, then swap the actual caption text between them. Is this correct? I only had to do this once, but I tell you if I had to do this on a long document, I'd be pretty mad. Also this reference thing only works in order of placed figures and captions. If I place 1, 3, then 2, and I move 2 in between 1 and 3, I must do that swapping thing all over again. Is there a solution for this yet??? There has to be some sort of anchor reference we can move, sort of like MS Word, not for placement, but for figure order. Thanks for your help. I didn't think you were being rude to her, nor unwilling to help.

Sincerely, John Cangemi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Very Well described godfather55, facing the same problem here, but in indesign CC. No solution since 2018? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines