• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hebrew text backwards

Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied a text that included Spanish and Hebrew into indesign and at first the text was fine the Spanish was LTR and the Hebrew RTL but then I added a script to make footnotes into two columns something changed and now when I have Hebrew words in brackets the text is weird and I can't pinpoint what changed

Before

This is how it was.png

After

This is how it is now.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Great!

In certain situations where you have certain characters (including numerals, parentheses, etc.) that are used either in a Left-to-Right or Right-to-Left context adjoining Hebrew text, you need to explicitly define such text as Left-to-Right to counteract assumptions (often wrong) made by InDesign.

If you have the Text tool selected, on the task bar at the far right hand corner is a “hamburger menu” that if you pull down, you will see Text Direction options of Left-to-Right and Right-to-Left

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version and locality of InDesign do you have installed? Unless you have the English/Hebrew version installed, this type of problem is not readily resolved.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the English/Hebrew version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!

In certain situations where you have certain characters (including numerals, parentheses, etc.) that are used either in a Left-to-Right or Right-to-Left context adjoining Hebrew text, you need to explicitly define such text as Left-to-Right to counteract assumptions (often wrong) made by InDesign.

If you have the Text tool selected, on the task bar at the far right hand corner is a “hamburger menu” that if you pull down, you will see Text Direction options of Left-to-Right and Right-to-Left. Use that to override the problematic text and voila, your problem should be solved.

Please confirm that this fixes the issue for you.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah that solves it but I was wondering if you knew why this would change why at the beginning it was fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I honestly don't know, but even with copy/paste of text, position and context seem to be taken into consideration if direction isn't explicitly specified.

FWIW, this is the second time in two days that this issue has come up, the previous one being in private correspondance to me from another user.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find "Text Direction" - (using Adobe In Design CC currently 15.1.3). (see screenshot)

Very much appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there's a character-level text direction tool on the hamburger icon on the Character panel, and a Paragraph Direction button directly on the Paragraph panel:

rtl.gif

If you don't see these, you probably have the English version of InDesign installed. You'd need to go to the Creative Cloud app, go into its preferences, choose a language like "English (Arabic)" and reinstall InDesign. Un-installation beforehand isn't necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i havve he same problem wiht a site <<link deleted by moderator>>

so instead of getting "אברהם"  i get "םהברא"

any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i also just noticed - that the headers remain the same dieciton - just the text switches the order. can that be a clue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We discuss here InDesign program, not some sites. I think you're need to ask this question directly from site creator.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i see - i didnt ealize adobe had their own converter - i will ry that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That thread isn't about "converter"

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you install a RTL version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines