• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help, How do I place Illustrator Cloud File (.aic)? What's your workflow?

Participant ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys, 

So I created a bunch of Illustrator files using the aic format saving on the creative cloud. I now want to set them in indesign for my printer.

I cannot seem to workout a way to place them in Illustrator. 

Is it doable? What's your workflow?

Thanks in Advance

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Cloud documents like aic or psdc are not supported by InDesign. So you need to work the traditional way of exchanging/linking the ai or psd files into your INDD documents

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cloud documents like aic or psdc are not supported by InDesign. So you need to work the traditional way of exchanging/linking the ai or psd files into your INDD documents

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why didn't you tell us we woudn't be able to place these files when illustrator asked us to save them to the cloud for the first time? Placing adobe files in Indesign is is part of a daily workflow for print designers. Workflow matters!!! This software is used by professionals. If you need somene to shape up your UX department give me a call!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also a user like you, you could give suggestions/feedback, report bugs at the following link. These forums are not the place where the engineering team visit quite often, the best chance to catch the eye of Project Mangers is the link given below

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

Once you post your request, paste its link back here so that anyone wanting this feature can upvote it, the greater the no. of upvotes the larger would be its chance to be picked up early

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BUT once they have become AIC documents how do I get them back to plain AI files? When I open an eps in illustrator, it goes straight to the Cloud spot.  ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Stephanie28896839i1p4 , You will have to do a Save As and click Save not Save Cloud Document:

Screen Shot.png

If you are not working on a mobile device the .AIC and .PSDC formats are pretty much useless.

InDesign placed assets have to be on a local volume or server, so if you want your placed assets to be both local and in the cloud you have to use a cloud sync’ing service like Dropbox, OneDrive, or the Creative Cloud Files folder, but Adobe is about to drop their file syncing feature in February.

More on syncing here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/do-indesign-links-work-with-adobe-cloud-multiple...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Just opening .aic docs with "desktop-illustrator" and save in .ai format. It's cool as long as you stay in .aic format, your changes updates to cloud and to your ipad and vice versa.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Placed assets have to be saved to a local network, so if you want placed files to be both local and stored on your cloud server, save them into your local user>Creative Cloud Files folder where they will automatically sync to the Synced files directory in your Adobe cloud account. From there you can share the assets with other users.

The reason for the Illustrator .AIC and Photoshop .PSDC formats is to let you open and edit files on the mobile versions of the apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so microsoft - like in the instance of ms project, have disconnected desktop apps from cloud based - less features, additional tiered pricing.  adobe obviously saw the dollar signs here too.  i have opted to save all of my designs to my pwn storage and maintain the origonal file extension - there is no reason to utlize the adobe cloud and encourage their use of a new file extension type here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Russell25291735ohmd ,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing the feedback. Cloud documents are Adobe's cloud-native document file type that can be accessed online or offline directly from within the application. You can access cloud documents on any device (desktop or iPad) if the application is installed.

Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions or feedback.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're completely uselss. Stop pushing them until you've fixed these critical regressions in your feature.

For example, a logo I saved from Illustrator (on the cloud) cannot be embedded/linked into a Photoshop document I'm working on (also in the cloud). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines