• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I achieve the same HSB colour (Photoshop) in Indesign?

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I achieve the same HSB colour (Photoshop) in Indesign?

I understand that Indesign doesn't have the HSB option, however how do I achieve the same colour?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can get the Lab values from the PS color picker and put them into the ID color picker. From there you can make a color managed conversion to either RGB or CMYK. To do that put your cursor in one of the CMYK fields and you will get an Add CMYK Swatch button. If the cursor is in an RGB field you will get Add RGB Swatch.

You can also try this JavaScript, which will get the PS foreground color and make a Lab Swatch in InDesign. Unzip the zip archive and put the script in your ID scripts folder. It will then show in your Scripts panel:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/PSForeGround.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also you might look at the L, Lab Color Space View, which is HSB like.

With the L view, HSB's Brightness is in the right scroll bar, and Hue and Saturation are in the color field. it takes some getting used to, but it acts like an HSB picker.

So the saturation goes from the center of the color field (neutral gray) to fully saturated at the outer perimeter:

S.jpg

Then you find the hue by rotating around the center:

H.jpg

Once you find the color's hue and saturation, adjust its brightness with the slider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternatively: HSB is a consistent conversion of RGB. So set the RGB working space the same, and type in the matching RGB colour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there are documents open, you would have to match the documents' assigned RGB profiles and not the RGB Working Space—they could be different. Both HSB and Lab are device independent (no color profiles). I'm using Lab in the script to avoid conversion complications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would take the time to setup a Color Settings File (.csf) under Photoshop's Edit > Color Settings. Once decisions are made and saved there, I would go to Bridge > Edit > Color Settings and me-too the same custom color management for InDesign. You could also simply go to InDesign > Edit > Color Settings in order to choose the same color management method.

This synchronizes the color viewpoint in both programs.

Then, if you save a swatch in Photoshop, perhaps exporting it to a folder location or parking it in CC Libraries, you could switch over to InDesign and import the same swatch color via Swatch import or pulled from the CC Libraries panel.

Assuming your image in PS was RGB and your document in InDesign is RGB, the swatch you originally contrived in HSB should look pretty much the same in InDesign.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you make the transfer via Lab values, the color will have the same appearance in both apps regardless of the Color Settings—there would be no need to sync. Once the Lab color is in InDesign, any conversion to RGB or CMYK would be to the document's assigned color profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is a really terrible update, this has not always been an issue and is now costing me so much time when trying to work. This is clearly an update made to facilitate the preference of a single, and dare I say younger way of working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Markd, I don't understand. There has been no update to InDesign affecting HSB color. It didn't do it before, and it doesn't do it now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry i have posted this in the wrong thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am talking about the visual appearance of the colour picker. When you double click the swatch on the tool panel, it pops up with a forced RGB colour space - this didn't used to be like this. In the past this looked as it does in PS or AI. You can change this view in PS and AI but I cant find how to change it in Indesign and all forums have suggested it isn't possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the Color Picker from ID CS6:

Screen Shot 30.png

and CC2014

Screen Shot 31.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this on a similar search and the idea to switch to LAB gave me the idea to try to click on the H I see in my ID color picker. And what do you know... it worked! The HSB options must have been a new addition as I don't see on the other posts below. But it's there now and now I can use the "normal" color picker. Not that monstrosity that was the original ID picker. Hope this helps fellow google sleuth

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 7.58.43 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines