• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do I paste a different title in the same place on a different page?

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do I paste a different title in the same place on a different page?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use paste in place, but note that this a spread-based setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this doesn't work on an opposite page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can still use Pate in Place, then either add or subtract the page width (depending on which way it needs to move) from the X-coordinate field in the Control Panel. Just tag on +/- and the value and let InDesign do the calculation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work either

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does work - really not sure what you're tyring -but just saying it doesn't work doesn't point us in a direction to help you further.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/how-do-i-copy-and-paste-into-the-same-position-i...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there not a simple way of copying something from the left hand page and pasting it in the same place on the right hand page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link I posted shows you how to do it there are multiple ways. 

But no - there is no built in function that will paste in place on a different page.

Paste in Place is what it is based on the coordinates. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/paste-in-place-problem-indesign/m-p/12176404

I asked about flipping a layout to an opposite page 

https://creativepro.com/how-to-mirror-a-layout/

But at the moment there is no direct way - so we all use 'workarounds' all shared with you

You can make a feature request
https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests

Best if you need it on all pages in the same place is to put it on the Parent Pages in the same position

Then apply the Parent Pages 

Object Styles is another way - 

There's plenty of ways to achieve it - but not a direct way that I think you're looking for with a Paste command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes: paste-in-place, adjust X position numerically by adding or subtracting page width, as suggested. If you have mirrored margins, you will have to compensate for the margin width as well, but it's simple math.

Your request is a little vague and seems to change a little with each post; that's the precise answer to what you've asked.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adjusting the X axis does nothing it only aligns the copied element with what is already on that page it doesnt mirror it on the opposite page 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really can't follow most of what you're saying. But once again:

• Copy element from left hand page.
  • Select right-hand page for destination.
  • Paste-in-Place.
  • With the element selected, subtract the page width (6 inches, 8.5 inches, whatever) from the element's X position.
  • If the margins are offset and mirrored, subtract the difference of the inner and outer margins—
    • If the inner margins are one inch and the outer margins one half inch, subtract one more half inch from the element's X position.

The item should now be in exactly the same relative position on the RHP that it was on the source LHP. To move something from an right hand page to a left hand page, ADD the page width and margin correction.

If what you're copying is more than one element, temporarily group the elements for the copy process.

What of this process doesn't work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that when @James3669094303ct says "same position" on opposite page he really means in mirrored symmetry, not the same position, and no, Paste In Place won't be much help for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the hurdles, I think. With the X position correction, what further doesn't work?

If it's something that needs to hug the outside margin, for example, then object styles should be able to manage the positioning. But the OP has been vague about the specific problem, so guesses are all I can bring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted a link already on how to mirror a layout

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2024 Apr 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's pretty clever, but does it work i f the target page is on a differnt spread?

I suppose you could create a new blank spread, do a copy/paste in place to poulate one side, do the mirror, then copy/paste in place on the target page. Is that faster than putting guides on a Parent Page and manually postioning?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No because you have to mirror flip then cut and paste

I suppose a script could potentially do the same thing and ask you which page you want to put it on

Then you could have a potential shortcut for the script that is just something custom then it runs the script and done in a second

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you tried creating an object style? Object styles can include attributes for position and size. Apply the object style to any text frame and it will pop into position. This has the added benefit of allowing global changes. If you want all titles moved you only need to adjust the object style once and all text frames will reposition, provided they all use the style.

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 2.21.02 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines