• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I properly import shutterstock eps files which utilize the screen blend mode?

Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When creators make objects glow in these vectors they typically use the screen blend mode. I'm never able to get these to look the same out of the box when I want to put them in indesign and always end up redrawing gradients with a 0-100% opacity on the normal blend mode. Example problem file:

Pickysticks_0-1611676101875.png

Is there something simple I'm missing? Am I stuck having to composite the imagery in illustrator before laying out copy in indesign?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Blending modes used in placed objects are not applied to InDesign native objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

The problem isn't 100% clear to me, although I do believe I've seen the type of stock graphics with which you're having trouble. I will say the EPS file format does not support vector transparency and the blend modes that would produce a result that includes transparency. If you really have a need for those files and expect to preserve blend mode induced transparency, you may be best off rasterizing them (open them in Photoshop) at the desired output size and resolution. Save as .psd for placing

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Seen this many times - it's because the EPS file is in RGB - and your InDesign file transparency mode is in CMYK.

This is a problem. 

I'd do as @John Mensinger  suggested

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blending modes used in placed objects are not applied to InDesign native objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem isn't 100% clear to me, although I do believe I've seen the type of stock graphics with which you're having trouble. I will say the EPS file format does not support vector transparency and the blend modes that would produce a result that includes transparency. If you really have a need for those files and expect to preserve blend mode induced transparency, you may be best off rasterizing them (open them in Photoshop) at the desired output size and resolution. Save as .psd for placing in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Seen this many times - it's because the EPS file is in RGB - and your InDesign file transparency mode is in CMYK.

This is a problem. 

I'd do as @John Mensinger  suggested

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines