• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I save my file using InDesign CS6 so that it can be opened with CS5?

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2013 Jan 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know other people asked similar questions but I can't find anything that helps me figure my issue out.

Basically, I packaged my file using InDesign CS6. When I sent it to the person it needed to be sent to, she couldn't open it. She was running CS5.

So now I'm trying to REpackage it still using CS6 but when I make an IDML version and try to package it, it says that I need to SAVE it. Well the only options are CS6, which I can't use again, and another IDML version. If I did the IDML it would just save it as another untitled document and then I'd have to start all over.

Actually I just tried that, and InDesign crashed.

Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2013 Jan 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

i am not entirely sure if i got you right. But woudnt it be a solution to just export an IDML file out of your CS6 document and hand that out to the other person?

I mean, skip the REpackaging part and just sent that IDML file over…

regards

ronald

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

There is no such function in InDesign as 'saving to a lower version' (as it is in e.g. FrameMaker). There are interchange formats: obsolete INX (CS2,CS3,CS4) and current IDML (CS5, CS5.5, CS6).

You need to export (ctrl+e) previously saved document into IDML and attach to existing INDD file (Attaching is not necessary as IDML is a self-sufficient file). Also it's a really good idea to attach a PDF file (from CS6) as there might be some differences when opening a IDML from higher file in lower version program.

Final package could look like this:

Document fonts

Links

original file.indd

original file.idml

original file.pdf

best regards

Kuba

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the .idml option has been added to the Save As menu in CS6, though technically it is still an export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First package the file. Close it. Then open the INDD file in the package. Choose file save as and save it as InDesign CS4 or later (IDML).

Benefits of this are the IDML will find the links in the links folder and when you do the save as, it will automatically go to the folder that the INDD file is in. The export will save to the last folder you exported to.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just add the .idml fiel to the package you already made. I'd include a PDF as well so they have a clue what the layout looked like originally since it might look a bit different when opened in CS5. This is not a good workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Once again, Peter and Bob have given excellent advice. This is exactly what you should do. And this is coming from someone whose company only JUST NOW upgraded, a year after the release of CS6. The way they are telling you to do it is the way that a company requiring CS5 files would prefer to receive them from someone running CS6. Kudos Peter and Bob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines