• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Disable Touch mode permanently in InDesign (CC2018 and above)

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue: On launch of InDesing, users are presented with the Touch interface.

Desired outcome: Users should never see the touch interface on InDesign launch even if they connect with a touch-enabled device.

I don't want the touch abilities to be enabled in InDesign.

How do I disable this permanently?

Or, if permanently is not possible, disable it so it never shows, no matter the connecting device, on InDesign startup?

I get there is a thread that shows you how to disable this when it occurs; that's too late in the game; please don't clutter this with references to that 'help' item.

I want to prevent it from ever launching/showing/occurring in the first place.

TOPICS
How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ybk Software Support,

can you post the link to that thread you mentioned?

Maybe there is a way to write a startup script that could disable the touch mode when InDesign is starting.

To test if InDesign is in touch mode I found this:

app.isAppInTouchMode()

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that with a touch enabled device, the touch workspace will be there on the first launch. After that, it should remain at whatever workspace that was there when it was closed.

AFAIK, there's no way to simply disable it. 

I'm curious, why is this an issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why an issue: Because in a server-controlled environment, we are getting non-touchscreen users who get the touchscreen interface when launching InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something is wrong somewhere. I remember the early beta years ago where the touch interface would launch on non-touch enabled devices but that hasn't been the case in a long time. Can you tell us more about the systems are displaying this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Citrix environment running Desktop version of Adobe CC2018 on Win Server 2016.

The issue is very difficult to reproduce on demand, but we have enough users hitting the system that it reproduces frequently enough for them to be an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, one thing I can tell you for sure. That is a three year old version of InDesign that will never be looked at by Adobe and it's being run on an unsupported operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. I get that. Right now, upgrading is not a choice although this summer will be different. We just have to get through this school year.

I was asking in here in case someone else had gotten an answer from Adobe in the past for fixing this on a desktop system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the annoyance, but it's really just a matter of choosing another workspace. At this point I'd say it's safe to assume this is not a widespread issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. Ideally if you have disabled it one time it should not show up again until the preferences are reset. Also, there is no option to disable this permanently apart from changing it from the workspace. I would suggest if you could take a moment and share this on our UserVoice page (https://indesign.uservoice.com/ )

This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines