• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)

New Here ,
Jul 02, 2009 Jul 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how can I export all individual layers in indesign to a photoshop file with the same layer structure?

is there a script you can use?

thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 02, 2009 Jul 02, 2009

If you are on a Mac this Applescript will do it:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/PageToPSLayersV3.zip

The script exports PDFs of the ID layers and reassembles them in PS. In order to get the layers to register you need to include registration marks in the PDF preset you choose—the zip archive includes the preset I use. After running the script you can use canvas size to eliminate the crop marks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 154 Replies 154
New Here ,
May 24, 2011 May 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently discussing a better web design workflow with the programers I work with. Their preference is to receive PSD files to slice up, but without having a styles pallet in photoshop and a the ability to link files to the document simple client revisions become cumbersome and the size of the PSDs become enormous. I scoured all over the web and this script sound like the it could be the missing key to the puzzle. However, I'm running CS5 and I receive the error message

AppleScript Error!

Error Number -1719

Error String: Adobe Photoshop CS5 got an error:

Can't get document 1. invalid index.

Engine: Default

File: /applications/Adobe InDesign CS5/Scripts/Scripts Panel/Pages to PS Layers V2.scpt

I assume it's because this script was written for CS3, as it states in the readme. Are there any plans to update this for CS5? In the mean time I guess I'm going to see if I can scrounge up a earlier version of the adobe suite. Either that or hangout with the neglected child that is Fireworks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been running it out of CS5/10.6.4 successfully. What version of OSX are you running? It sounds like the file is never opening in Photoshop. Could you open the script in AppleScript Editor, run it, and then click the Replies button and copy out the error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm running 10.6.7. When I run the script it

looks like it's working at first. Two files are generated in the destination

folder before the error occurs and photoshop does open these files

automatically. One is named identical to the name of the document I'm

working on and the other is the same but has the prefix '11'.

I've copied the error message and put it in a .rtf for you. Thanks again for

your help.

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the problem is with opening in 10.6.7. I'll try and post a fix later this afternoon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, if you want me to test anything let me know, I'll be here all day.

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if this works.

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/PageToPSLayersCS5.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It work's beautifully! Thanks so much for your help, you have no idea.

-S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2011 May 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone interested in this script, I made a few changes this morning that should make it run a bit better. I've updated the script and readme at the original address:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/PagestoPSLayers.zip

It no longer asks for a PDF preset—it uses PDF/X-4 for the export. The main reason for using a preset in the earlier version was to include crop marks for registration of the layers, but the new version solves that problem. PDF/X-4 also makes it easy to match color between ID and PS—just make sure Photoshp's color Working Spaces match the ID doc's profiles. I've tested the new version in both CS3 and CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2011 May 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rob

I don't have the PDF/X-4 export preset in Indesign 5.5
the script generates an error for that
can you post that preset?
thanks in advance

Arjan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2011 May 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not running 5.5 yet, but it looks like the PDF/X-4 preset has been renamed [PDF/X-4:2010] from [PDF/X-4:2008], so you should be able to open the script in ScriptEditor and find the line:

set myPDFPreset to "[PDF/X-4:2007]"

change it to

set myPDFPreset to "[PDF/X-4:2010]"

click Compile and save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2011 Jul 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey rob,

first of all: thank you very much for providing this script! Still, I got trouble with it and would really appreciate any help. I'm using InDesign CS5 and Photoshop CS5 on my Mac. I installed the script as told in the rtf. It shows up in InDesign. If I try to use it I get the dialogue to provide a folder for the files and pick resolutions, pages and color scheme. But then I get an error message. I try to translate it as good as possible, as I got the software in German. It says "Invalid value for parameter 'using' of the method 'export'. PDF export preset expected but nothing received.". I'm pretty sure this has to do with this line: "export document 1 format PDF type to thePath using PDF export preset myPDFPreset". myPDFPreset is set to [PDF/X-4:2007]. I tried editing this to [PDF/X-4:2008] as a 2007 preset isn't really available in my InDesign version but the same error occured.

Can you give me any advice?

Thank you very much in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just double checked the last script I posted with CS5 (not CS5.5) and it worked, so I'm guesing it has something to do with your German version.

Try making making your own preset starting with the PDF/X-4 preset and use it in the script, so if your new preset is named myPDFpreset then change:

set myPDFPreset to "[PDF/X-4:2007]"

to:

set myPDFPreset to "myPDFpreset"

Click the AppleScript Editor's Compile button and resave the script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it worked! Great script, really!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welome, just remember if you move your version of the script to another InDesign you'll also need to copy or remake your preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2011 Sep 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Thanks so much for making this script - I've been using it for a long time now and it's been extremely helpful and a great timesaver! I can't seem to get it to work now though, and I'm not sure how to fix it. I actually ran it last week still using the CS3 version script  - even though I'm using CS5 now - it worked great with no problems. But now I'm getting an error message when I try to run the script...I downloaded the new version you posted for CS5 and still no luck with getting it to work. I read through your directions to change the "[PDF/X-4:2007]" to "[PDF/X-4:2008]" (since this is the only PDF/X-4 preset option available to me in InDesign) and also tried creating a preset named "myPDFpreset" (starting the PDF/X-4 preset) and then compiled and resaved the file, but still can't seem to get it running again. I'm not sure if there's any issues with the way I have my file set up or the settings within InDesign, I'm not sure.

I've attached a sreenshot of the error message I'm getting. Please let me know if you can help! Thanks again

Screen shot 2011-09-18 at 3.39.44 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your error message isn't for a missing PDF preset. I'm wondering if something happened when you tried to edit the script. Could you download the script again (from post 32), run it and see if you get a different error message, and post that? My assumption that the PDF/X-4 preset is universally available seems to be causing problems, so I might post a version with a list of presets to choose from when I get some time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi would you know or have a newer applscript that could work with ID2022? 😞 thank you so much for your help 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Both the JS ans AS versions are here (the JS version is the most recent)

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/11873033-f682-4425-68bd-239afeda1e0f

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 25, 2013 Mar 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for this Rob, it's a work of genius! I'll be using this all the time now.

I'm fundamentally a print designer and also do lots of brand identity work. InDesign is always my tool of choice - fast, accurate, intuitive, I love it. Increasingly I get clients asking me to design website which are then built by others. The developers usually want a layered photoshop file (thet can just lift things out as they need them) and that usually means laboriously copying and pasting stuff layer by layer from InDesign to Photoshop. Now I won't have to. I think Adobe need to build this functionality into InDesign, it's a perfect crossover function.

Thanks again!

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2013 Mar 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome–happy to hear it's useful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2013 Apr 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, this worked like a magic! Thanks a million! I love doing webdesign in InDesign because  I can create multiple versions very quickly. But the coder get's it only fromPSDs. You made my life much easier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2013 Oct 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you ROB!

I just want to say that I'm totally new to Applescripts - this was first try at it. Your instructions in the read me file were super easy to follow, I ran the script and it worked.

This was SO helpful. I don't know how you did it, but your work is totally appreciated!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2015 Feb 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there I tried your link but it did not work. I would like to extract layers from a pdf created by Indesign. Then use it on Photoshop

please help

thanks

Seanv

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2015 Feb 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an AppleScript so you have to be using OSX

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/PageToPSLayersV6.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Script seems to be broken as of the new CC update 2015.1 I'm running OSX 10.10.4  with ID and PS - 2015.1 11.1.0.122 Build

Fantastic script and use it on a regular basis, shame to see it not working, any fix?

Cheers,

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines