• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get formated text from Filemaker to Indesign

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to import formatted text from Filemaker. Currently I am using an old merge document built with Microsoft Word 98. This will surely die soon & leave me stranded. Any help would be appreciated.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really too sure on this one but found this thread. Might help

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/how-can-i-access-text-in-a-filemaker-data-base-from-indesign...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have, or can lay a hand on a copy of FileMaker Pro, I'd suggest a export from FMPx through DBF dBASE flatfile to Excel XLS workflow.

Technically, you could patch your way from a dBASE flatfile, or you could use a comma-delimited CSV file, but transferring it to Excel gives you much better tools to fix discrepancies within the database structure. And you can count on the flatfile needing some exra loving to make things right before you pour the end results into InDesign.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some options, not in any particular order:

• If you are still using the database, you can create fields that combine the original field with InDesign text tags. For example, the FirstNameExport would concatenate the FirstName field and the ID tagged text code.
  • You can basically do the same thing by exporting to Excel and adding the tagged text there (again with the concate function).
  • You could convert the tab-delimited output to a Word file and use a next-style format cycle if the data is repetitive.
  • You can use a plugin like InData for more control over the formatting (and not use tagged code). 
  • If you still use the database, you can use a plugin like InCatalog that can link to the database via ODBC. 
David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  1. Create a document with all style used.
  2. Export the text as InDesign tagged style.
  3. Look into the InDesign markers before and after each style.
  4. When you export content from a DB, not only export the field’s content, add the style markers from step 3 before and after the style where it should be used. You need only the name, not the whole definition as it will take it from the host document where it is complete defined.
  5. Place this exported txt file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines