Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove background in InDesign?

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2019 Jul 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am quite new to this indesign program and have previously used Corel Draw.

I am wanting to know how i can remove the white background of a JPEG that I have exported from Corel Draw in to InDesign.

Thanks

***** Title renamed by Moderator "VS" *****

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jul 07, 2019 Jul 07, 2019

They way, I've found It is Clipping Path. You just select your object. Now go to the Object>Clipping Path>Option Now from this window change your Type Click drop down menu select Detect Edges.

Screenshot_14.png

But it is a simple clipping path to remove a background from an image in InDesign. However, the ever-increasing success of Photoshop all over the world, you never earn a perfect result without it, Such as when you like to remove the background from images like glass, hair, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is not an image editing program. It would be far better to open an image editor like Photoshop or Affinity Photo to remove a white background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Steve,

We have only registered to get the InDesign app and intended to still use the Corel Draw suite for image editing. Is there a different save as file that will keep the background format?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming that you want white areas to become transparent. This is often called "silhouetting"—dropping out a background behind your subject.

I'm unfamiliar with what CorelDraw can do (I think of it as a vector program). It it can work with images, there are two ways you could create a silhouetting effect. You could change the white pixels in the image to transparent pixels. Or, perhaps CorelDraw can create what's called a "clipping path." This is a vector outline around the parts of the image you want to retain. InDesign could recognize a JPEG file with either transparent pixels or work with a clipping path.

InDesign would also support clipping paths or transparent pixels in other common image formats like TIFF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i have found the clipping path tool in InDesign and that seems to have fixed the background problem.

In regards to importing pages from Corel Draw, or from any suite, is there a file save as option (or an object tool in InDesign) that will allow me to break apart the image to edit the text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe I have ever heard of an import filter from CorelDraw to InDesign, I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help,

I see... is there any format that will allow me to continue to edit an imported text file? I am wondering if i could covert the pdf file to something that will be editable in InDesign. Or, is there a way in InDesign that will allow me to edit the text in the placed pdf/alternative file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome Matthew.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They way, I've found It is Clipping Path. You just select your object. Now go to the Object>Clipping Path>Option Now from this window change your Type Click drop down menu select Detect Edges.

Screenshot_14.png

But it is a simple clipping path to remove a background from an image in InDesign. However, the ever-increasing success of Photoshop all over the world, you never earn a perfect result without it, Such as when you like to remove the background from images like glass, hair, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop doesn't help at all. I already tried using photoshop to get rid of the white background and imported it into indesign. If you do have another way to get rid of the background using photoshop, please do share. 

Thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be best asked on the Photoshop forum: https://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop.

In Photoshop, Select and Mask is the recommeded approach for a non-destructive removal of any background, white or otherwise. If you are a brand new Photoshop user and don't want to invest the time to learn how to do it correctly, at least give the Magic Eraser a shot. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you using JPG from CorelDRAW? PDF is a far better choice.

I believe CorelDRAW is capable of producing a PDF/X-4 file. Place that in InDesign and make sure to show options when doing so to allow you to choose a transparent background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thanks for your help

Re: Bob, I used JPG for individual images and pdf format for the whole document, I did find it easier that way than cropping down the pdf.

Everything is still new to me so I will keep all this in mind!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF is far superior and will maintain the vector quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Migrate your work to InDesign but don’t expect to be able to migrate your documents. Remake them, or use InDesign only for new projects.

The usual Adobe set of apps for prepress is InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. Unlike CorelDRAW there is no single app for all work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines