• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use Adobe InDesign on iPad Pro

Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2017 Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it possible to create an indesign file on desktop, save to cloud and later make edits from iPad Pro while away from desktop? Then sharing files with print vendor or client in press ready pdf format?

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: As great a tablet as the iPad Pro is, it runs a different operating system (iOS 11) than a Macintosh does (macOS 10.13.2 is the current version).

iOS is not capable of running professional graphics applications like Adobe InDesign or Adobe Photoshop, etc. With a lot of work some app developers can create great tablet apps but they not at a professional level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about through a remote desktop application? Would that work at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if you can remotely control your Mac from your iPad, you could make edits to an InDesign file because you're actually editing it on the Mac (just using the iPad as a viewer and sender of mouse movements/clicks).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What iOS app lets you control a Macintosh application from an iPad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have to research that so if anyone can recommend a Remote Desktop app for the iPad that would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck on making fine-grained edits of text or graphics using an interface like that. Those iOS apps are more for clicking buttons or choosing from menus, not editing with InDesign's Text tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PBSOakley:

I won't post the link here as it isn't really related to InDesign, but if you want to control a Mac via the iPad, google the words "control mac from ipad" and the first answer by Tech Radar goes through a step by step on how to do this. However, it's not a true install of InDesign or Photoshop, as they are not made for the iOS 11. Still, that doesn't mean that  this won't happen in the future.

While I agree with Steve's comment that making fine edits on an iPad would be difficult, I don't agree that iPads are not capable of running professional graphics applications given that there are several on the market for the iPad at the moment, and one look at games such as Mortal Kombat X on the iPad shows an iPad can certainly handle graphics. I personally can't see myself trying to use InDesign on an iPad with a remote-viewer method given that so many of the controls are keyboard-related, but if there was ever a release of InDesign for iPad that could easily be controlled with an apple pencil, I'd be curious to see how it would work.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume it work in a similar manner to a pen enabled Windows 10 device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I tried it with my old iPad and old laptop which I’m planning on replacing and it worked just fine. Even the mouse and keyboard connected with it. A bit slow but that was to be expected with my 8 year old equipment and mediocre internet. Still it will allow me to make edits in indesign. I wouldn’t use it to create anything major from scratch but it will work for minor changes when out of the office.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Astropad could potentially work! It's pretty slow over wifi, unfortunately. They sell the app as a drawing app, but really you can use anything while working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome Remote Desktop works well for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Steve

While researching the topic INDD on iOS, I found most topics answered by you. While you‘ve been right until recently that there is no solution from Adobe itself and no way to run the desktop applications on iOS or Android, I highly disagree with you regarding the power and capabilities of recent tablet generations.

A developer by the name BacDev offers an app called «Design Touch» which can natively open and edit Indesign files. Which is by itself something that even an old iPad is capable of in terms of ressources and OS capabillities! Of course, this app is not a full fledged Indesign with all its bells and whistles. But it is a possiblity to see your files on mobile and even edit content. Great to go over designs with a customer or to do a quick change on the go.

[This is the link to the app – but beware, it has a very bad business model of «credits for actions» behind it! Design Touch by BacDev https://itunes.apple.com/ch/app/design-touch/id866175089?l=en&mt=8]

That Adobe doesn‘t offer apps yet stems purely from strategic decisions and does not reflect the resourcefulness of the devices or their operating sytems. Adobe did with Indesign and Illustrator what Microsoft did with Office – they created monsters. Jack of all trades, blown up to the max with ever increasing functionalities. (Besides that, they don‘t even think about building sleek and perfance oriented apps.)

I run my own agency and we still use old iMacs and Mac Minis for work, becuase with the right settings they are perfectly fine for layout and editing. I work for over 20 years in agencies and publishing houses and have rarely seen someone use more than, say 5% of Indesign‘s features on a daily basis. And I predict Adobe releasing versions of Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop for Mobile over the coming years that reflect exactly this. Besides that, Apple is working towards unifying its plattforms. This will take time, but the process has already started.

You show great knowledge and ressourcefulness in this community and I highly appreciate the time and effort you put into helping people. But I get a nervous itch when someone with such a good reputation blames something on the wrong gods. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't been in the market for tablets in the past couple years. Since I do most of my work on my MacBook Pro and my iPhone so I apologize for the incorrect information I've given. But iPad is old but I haven't had any reason for updating it.

When I've wanted to view an InDesign file, I always make PDF files from my InDesign documents that are important and view it on my phone or iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the recent announcement of ARM processors coming to the next generation of Macs, and the ability for desktop Macs to run any iOS application, I wonder if it will go the other way around. Adobe is working on the CS for Arm processors, and they have Arm processors in iPads, so I feel like it wouldn't be a stretch to have the ability to run full Adobe CS apps on iOS, or at least have slightly tweaked versions. For instance, you can switch to a touch interface for a few CS apps on Windows when on a Surface, so it doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult for them to have the same Arm compatible code for iOS and OSX and just a different interface. I mean, heck, the newest iPad pros are more than powerful enough spec-wise to run the full CS suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m a programmer and so can tell you that ARM macs will make no difference to this in terms of the work needed. It’s the very smallest of details. It’s all about the choices Apple makes; they will run native iPad apps on Mac, because that makes business sense, but the opposite thing would lose them billions of dollars. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2018 Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try IDML apps for iOS, you can edit IDML files from your iOS device using this app.

It's a paid app give it a try if you think this will help your workflow in any means. DTP Tools - iDML app for iOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi All,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to all the responses above, I'd request checking out Adobe community discussion(https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/adobe-in-design-on-ipad-pro/m-p/11225459?page=1#M191367).

Hope it answers the question.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines