• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Would You...

Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for ideas and options for creating an interactive document for the purpose of teaching a course remotely. Lesson files will include text, imagery, video and audio elements. Individuals must be able to access the document and interactive elements of the course with or without internet access.

Can it be published online and downloaded to a personal device and maintain its functionality?

Is it possible to publish a document to a private server or does it have to be placed on an Adobe server?

Any ideas would be great.

JR

TOPICS
EPUB , Feature request , Import and export , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

It's an ambitious project to produce from InDesign; have a look at the in5 plugin (at extra cost):

https://ajarproductions.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

It packages fine for offline use.

You may be confusing Adobe Captivate, which is a focused educational content authoring program, with Captivate Prime, which is a Learning Management System for hosting/supporting that content. You can plug Captivate content into an LMS like Prime, but you can distribute it and run Captivate content offline through most any web browser. Or tailor it for ebook readers. Or run it off a DVD. Or, if you want, host it online. Captivate is really good at creating all

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor , Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

In5 is a great solution for you, I think, especially given that you'd like to stay in InDesign. While these documents were published using Publish Online (only available with online access), they give you an idea of the wide range of interactivity can be implemented with InDesign.  http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an ambitious project to produce from InDesign; have a look at the in5 plugin (at extra cost):

https://ajarproductions.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks incredibly promising Derek, I believe I will be adding this to my arsenal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create teaching/training materials also. I use IN5. Phenomenal tool, learning curve.

I also work with captivate. The difference here is that with captivate I can have a SCORM complaint file which I can than track answers, see how many students answered what correctly, plus; I can set up if passing is 80% correct and much more.

with indesign, for students to be able to digest content offline a .pdf is what I use. I make that .pdf download or from the web version. 

publish online will give you these capabilities also, and it's included with you CC subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Derek's recommendation; HTML5 will facilitate browser-based deployment that will work on the required range of device types. Whether InDesign > HTML5 via a plugin is the best route may be another matter, depending on the nature of the content and input/output requirements of the finished product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like it can meet all if not most of my requirements. I felt like I would need to use XD and avoid InDesign, but the layout power of Id is too capable to disregard. The in5 plugin looks extremely versatile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign will give you more interactive creation options. By a mile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to look at Adobe Captivate. It lets you assign all the interactivity you need for such a course digital document and has specialized functions like quizzing, scoring, etc. that are worth their weight in gold for an interactive course.

This will help you. I'm confident of that.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To solve my problem my solution must be able to work offline. There are some amazing options with Captivate that I am unsure will work in an internet desert. I admit I don't know much about the software's capabilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It packages fine for offline use.

You may be confusing Adobe Captivate, which is a focused educational content authoring program, with Captivate Prime, which is a Learning Management System for hosting/supporting that content. You can plug Captivate content into an LMS like Prime, but you can distribute it and run Captivate content offline through most any web browser. Or tailor it for ebook readers. Or run it off a DVD. Or, if you want, host it online. Captivate is really good at creating all kinds of different formats for producing your course materials.

I don't make a dime saying this, but if you're really looking to develop online course content, you'll be much better served using a dedicated educational content authoring program than you will be with a digital publishing package like in5. That's the perfect horse for a much different course. And I say that as someone who's an experienced platform and remote trainer, who's already developed coursework on several different projects with Adobe Captivate.

At any rate, good luck with your efforts. You're fighting the good fight in challenging times. We're rooting for you.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the answer I was looking for! Solving the hosting issue first makes the rest manageable. Definitely not looking for LMS, but would like the option for schools to host on their own school sites if they choose. Thank you again. If its alright, I may reach out with questions and rogue thoughts. 

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure it's alright to come back and ask questions. Registered members here can privately message others through these forums. And you're welcome to ask questions here — or any of Adobe's other user forums — if you're in a bind. There are lots of sharp folks around here willing to lend a hand.

Good luck,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for simplification, I'm trying to solve a problem where local schools don't have a budget to purchase online learning platforms or elaborate edu software.  My first goal is to provide a small scale solution for teachers to deliver their lessons through e-learning when they are unable to teach in a traditional classroom. The second goal has to do with lack of internet access, or very limited access, to about 40% of the student population. With covid, not everyone can spend time in public using free wifi. This is having an effect on access to learning for many.

Creating something engaging, user friendly, and functional with trackable results is manageable for me.  Ensuring it functions without internet access is the tough part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In5 is a great solution for you, I think, especially given that you'd like to stay in InDesign. While these documents were published using Publish Online (only available with online access), they give you an idea of the wide range of interactivity can be implemented with InDesign.  http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IN5 will need you to host files. think about the cost behind server space.  adobe publish online is free and adobe will host files for you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP stated "the document and interactive elements of the course [must be available] with or without internet access.".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Most school districts have the capability to share files over the internet. Teachers send their grading from home to the school district all the time.

The real question is whether they have enough resources to share files over the internet to lots and lots of inexperienced end users. School age children and their parents. And what to do if the school doesn't, as well as what to do with students who absolutely don't.

My sister contributes time to her local schools — did the PTA thing, considered running for the school board, has lots of friends and acquaintances teaching and working in school administration — and is looking at this up close and personal. She lives maybe 30 miles out a major midwestern city and nearly 20% of students in the district have no home access to internet. Population density doesn't make things worth it for the cable company to string up rural homes, and much of that area is also a black hole for cellular signals. There are still large internet wastelands in America.

In the Before Times, this was mostly a nagging limitation and irritation to work around. But with COVID lockdowns, it's created a significant gulf between internet haves and have nots. Gulfs which will hopefully soon be crossed.

The best that can be done right now is to create educational content that can be snapped on and off internet connectivity. And that can incorporate grading, tracking and gateways to facilitate learning and document student progress. That's where dedicated authoring tools for e-learning have it all over cobbled multimedia solutions.

I'm a big advocate for InDesign and digital publishing/interactive content tools. But even with free server space from Adobe, InDesign and digital content publishing tools are wholly inadequate for educational needs. While certainly something can be cobbled together with InDesign to fill the hole, that doesn't mean the end product will actually fit in it.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines