• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

howto get column width in pixel from idml

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I get the width of a column in pixel (dots?) from an idml file?

In the Spead files I found something like: TextColumnFixedWidth="524.6929133858267"

I guess I have to divide this above number by the dpi of the document?

Where would I find the dpi of the whole document?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Markus,

the value you are seeing is in points.

But: It could be that the object, the text frame with the text column, is transformed. Scaled perhaps. So it could be that you are not seeing the actual rendered value of the text column after you open the IDML file with InDesign.

FWIW: In InDesign there is no "dpi of the whole document", whatever that means.

Maybe you are looking for this:

With a nominal resolution of 72 ppi the value in points is the same as in pixels if the object is not transformed otherwise.

Are you working on an InDesign document with mobile or web intent?

https://www.indesignjs.de/extendscriptAPI/indesign14/#DocumentIntentOptions.html

Can you elaborate what you like to do with a pixel value?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify Uwe's: there is no such unit as "a pixel". There is no relation between any real world unit and a pixel on your screen other than what you are (personally) seeing. Even users with the exact same monitor brand and model may have configured it to see more or less pixels -- on the same area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create am IDML File from a web application. In php.

And I want to place images in it that fit the width of the column and set the height proportionally.

I have the height and width in pixels and need to know what value I have to set for height.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then your question is the wrong way around.

Divide your text column width (which is in points) by the image width. Now you have a conversion factor; multiply by your image height to get its real world height in points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how do I get the column width?

The image has to be resized to fit the column?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you have the column width – you mentioned it in your first post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. So I use the TextColumnFixedWidth value.

And assume the document has 72 dpi.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And assume the document has 72 dpi.

No the document or its pages has no resolution.

An export to an image format would have a resolution. If you export the page to JPEG at 72ppi, your column would measure 525 pixels in the JPEG, but if you exported at 144ppi it would measure 1050 pixels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The image has to be resized to fit the column?

For an image to fit in the column its output dimensions would have to be 525 points (or 7.29"). The image’s resolution could be anything.

In this example the output dimensions of the image in points is 525 x 389 pts, and its print output resolution is 648 ppi. The output resolution of an image is listed as Effective Resolution in the Link Info and Info panels.

Screen Shot 23.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where would I find the dpi of the whole document?

An InDesign page is a vector object, so it has no resolution.

InDesign does have a Pixel ruler unit, which has a static output measurement of 1/72". The Pixel ruler unit is only useful when you are exporting to an image format. It is a convienient measurement unit if you need to export to a specific pixel dimension—a page or object that measures 800 x 600 pixels will export as an 800 x 600 pixel JPEG or PNG when you set the export resolution to 72ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines