• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I got a warning of fond not embedded when exporting to PDF, but the font is not in use!

Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify: I'm using inDesign. The font is not in paragraph stlyles, not in character styles, not in table of content (I haven't created table of content for the file yet). I can't find it through "find font". What should I do?  The warning reads: 

"This font could not be embedded due to licensing restrictions in the font. A substitute font will be used if it supports the glyphs used in the restricted font. The PDF will not be created if the glyphs cannot be represented.  Failed to Export the PDF file."

Anyone has a clue? Thank you!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Hello everyone, 

The problem is finally solved. It turns that, the software wrongly identified one of the Chinese fonts  used in the doc (Songti SC Black) as the one specified in the error message (ST Hei). I then changed Songti SC Black to another font and tried exporting. Everything went through smoothly. 

Lessons and questions? Be careful when you are using a foreign language under English system. Maybe I should choose Chinese as my inDesign system language? But will that incure errors when I c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More info: there is a warning in the "Export Adobe PDF" summary, as the screenshot shows: Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 10.44.51 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using Find Font, did you search the master pages?

Try changing subset fonts to zero instead of 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would agree with @Barbara Ash that some character on a referenced master page may be the culprit.

However, the subset fonts option is absolutely irrelevant here. The message is with regards to font embedding privileges. InDesign always embeds font subsets (if the font is embeddable) regardless of the value of that option.

By the way, what font does the message claim is not embeddable? Font name?

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a Chinese font, 宋体-简 黑体。Please see attached screenshot:

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 2.17.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't know how to search the master pages. Is it just searching with the master pages open? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, navigate to the master pages to do the Type > Find Font search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried. Faile, if I did it right -- see attached:

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 4.04.38 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi wenqiaol81493413,

check menu Type > Find Font…

Check if the font is listed there. Check its properties with More Info. Especially what item Restrictions says.

With Find First you should be able to detect formatted text with that font.

Best do a screenshot when you selected the font in the Find Font panel and more info is showing. Post that screenshot.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I've done searching font again and again, it's just not there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that IF I'm getting that error AND I can't find the font....it's usually an empty return with that font (which will not show any results in the "find font" search.

Look for an empty return (paragraph marker).

Mary Helen Shuff | Art Director & Senior Graphic Designer | 508-Compliancy Coordinator | Forms Coordinator | Printing Liaison

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try it. But what is a paragraph marker, please? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you select the Type menu and choose Show Hidden Characters, you will see the paragraph markers that appear at the end of each paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paragraph markers live at the end of each paragraph or line item and look like this:

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 5.15.03 PM.png

You can make Paragraph Markers show (as will spacebars and other non-printing items) if you choose:

Type >> Show Hidden Characters (last menu item in the type menu).
Like this:

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 5.14.15 PM.png

Mary Helen Shuff | Art Director & Senior Graphic Designer | 508-Compliancy Coordinator | Forms Coordinator | Printing Liaison

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using Edit > Find/Change? There is an icon in the center of the dialog box that let's you include Master Pages. If you click the 'specify attributes to find' icon to the right of Find Format, then select Basic Character Formats, you can specify a Font Family to search for. If the font is in your document, it should be in the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

She tried finding the font in the Edit>Find/Change. But the "Find" won't work for an empty return that is in that font (since there is no character there). I tested it. An empty return set to Courier, for instance (with no other Courier used in the entire document), will not return a result in the Edit>Find/Change efforts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, this is brand new to me! Never knew we can do this with Find/Change. But still, the font is not in the list. I wonder if there's anything to do with Glyph since it's in the error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font won't be listed in the Find/Change results if it's associated with an empty return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With you and Barbara's help I'm able to locate the "paragraph markers",  but I'm not sure what is a "empty return", and what to do with it? Many thanks for any further help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello everyone, 

The problem is finally solved. It turns that, the software wrongly identified one of the Chinese fonts  used in the doc (Songti SC Black) as the one specified in the error message (ST Hei). I then changed Songti SC Black to another font and tried exporting. Everything went through smoothly. 

Lessons and questions? Be careful when you are using a foreign language under English system. Maybe I should choose Chinese as my inDesign system language? But will that incure errors when I create English files? 

Thank you everyone for your effort to help! I truly appreciate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines