Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Idml file type doesn't unzip using Mac Archive Utility

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have a use case where we download assets in AEM which would contain some renditions. These are downloaded as zip files but when we try to unzip using Mac Archive Utility they wouldn't open rather we have to use some third party applications to unzip. What complicates it is that not all zip files open using the same third party unzip application. We observed that we are seeing this issue only when the file type is .idml and wondersing if there is a work around to unzip .idml files using Mac archive utility.

Thanks! 

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IDML file is a "basic" ZIP archive.

I'm not a Mac user - but can't you assign IDML extension to your preferred unzip'ing tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somewhat aside, but ZIP is an extremely mature, stable and nearly universal format. I'd have questions about any modern tool that cannot unzip any current variation. I haven't needed alternate versions since.... the 1990s?

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac's archive utility can't unzip IDML archives (even if you change the extension to .zip).

The method I know is that you need to use the unzip shell command:

unzip <source zip or idml> -d <output dir>

In some cases this may not work either in which case you'll need to 'fix' the original zip first using the zip command:

zip -FF <source zip or idml> --out <output zip>

then unzip the resulting zip as above.

Actually, you may want to just always run the 'fix' script first anyway.

I found these instructions somewhere on the net years ago. It always worked so far.

You of course can automate this process one way or another instead of running it manually from Terminal (for example, with an AppleScript droplet).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2024 Apr 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Exactly what I was going to post.

You would be better off downloading a different ZIP application that is more robust than the pathetic method that Apple have out of the box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines