• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image Scaling Problem?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to High Sierra and had to purchase the monthly subscription to InDesign since my CS5 version was no longer supported.  So I have the latest InDesign CC 13.0.1.

The problem I am having is that when I go to scale an image using the keypad for easy custom sizing, I can't get it to work right.  I just want to scale with the original ratio.  I do control, command with the shift key and when I grab the corner point to drag, I get a long pull down menu with a long selection of things such as cut, copy, transform, zoom etc.  It won't let me drag the image.  Also when I just go to pull the window in for window cropping in InDesign, it compresses the image along with the window instead of just changing the window.

I can't find any info that suggests any changes in these functions between versions.  I have not tried reinstalling it because my Creative Cloud pull down says that my trial version has expired.  Since I am paying for it, this is not correct but since everything else works fine, this does not seem to be the problem.  I can't find any way of contacting someone in person from Adobe to check on my subscription or help me with these problems.

Has anyone else out there run across this or shed some light on these issues?

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

The only thing that I can think of is that you have some custom keyboard shortcuts set up somewhere. Actually, since you're on a Mac, I think that it may be the use of the option key. To resize and constrain proportions you should only need command and shift. Control on a Mac brings up contextual menu.

Regards,

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Malcom,

Your advise seems to be the case in that it was the control button bringing up the contextual menu in the mix. i think the confusion I am experiencing is that some of the time, command shift will resize the image in ratio and 75% of the time it simply reduces the window and crops. The same is true with simply pulling the side of the window in. It reduces the window with a crop sometimes and at others it squeezes the full image. I was thinking that it might have something to do with creating an image import window, then importing, then using the command, control "C" buttons to open the full image window, then trying to do a custom resize by hand with command, shift, drag. But I don’t think so. I can’t figure out what I am doing sometimes that works and most of the time that doesn’t. I have never set up any keyboard shortcuts myself. With the new system install and the new ID ap install, there shouldn’t be any bugs as everything else works fine.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

I think if the image is resizing sometimes when you simply pull the size of the window in, you may have "fit content proportionally" turned on for that particular image/frame.

Regards,

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. In my case Webroot virus protection software had to be disabled to get it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John:

When the modifier keys stop working as expected, it's most often because another application is interfering with your Adobe app, as per Bruce's response. In my experience, it's often a browser, a browser extension, a tablet driver, anti-virus or anti-malware. (Bruce is sharing his experience that Webroot caused this issue on his system.)

The way to figure this out is to reboot your computer and only open InDesign and see if Ctrl and Shift now work as expected. Open additional apps one at a time and observe when the keys stop working as expected.  (Pay attention to the apps that auto-load as well.) Once you are aware of potential conflicts, you can probably figure out the culprit.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Barb for this advice!

I will get on it. Another culprit I suspect is my Wacom tablet which I use with my right hand for dragging anything. It all started with the High Sierra upgrade and since the ID ap is a fresh download that is probably not the culprit. I bet it may be the tablet driver perphaps not being the latest, so that is something I will check as well along with all else as suggested.

Best,

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John.

Yep, tablet drivers are on the list of likely culprits. However, sometimes students have success by upgrading the driver, and other times by downgrading it. You could also check the Wacom support site. As I said, once you start thinking about it, you can usually figure it out.

And if you think about it, come back and let us know what works for you. Your information will help others down the road.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, were you able to resolve the scaling issue with Malcom or Barb's suggestions? If so, what resolved it for you?

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Best,

Wren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wren,

Thanks for followiing up.

No, I have still not been able too resolve the problem. I have updated my Wacom driver. I haven’t had time to check the Wacom support site yet though. It is bascally that most all the time, shift command drag just crops the image. I’ve tried shift option command drag as well but it just crops as well and sometimes has even flipped the image or turned it upside down. I have not updated my track ball yet so maybe it has some connection but it works fine with all it is supposed to do. The same thing occurs when I use the track ball to resize. I also just did an upgrade on adobe things in general and supspect there might have been a slight upgrade to High Sierra in the mix and now my hard drives are not recognizable along with Disk Warrior not being able to reboot from. So I have a number of other issues as well which may or may not be related. But this InDesign problem is really a time consuming hassle to work around with window resizing as I work a lot with images. If anyone has any other suggestions or insights they would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I am plugging away.

Best,

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just another update on the ID High Sierra problem I have been having. It is a bizarre one. So it appears that all my devices are updated (tablet, trackball, etc) and there are no keyboard shortcuts active. Just now, I tried it again to show someone. I drag out an image import box, command D an image into it, then command option C to fit the boundary box to the whole image. Then with the top select arrow selected in the tool box, I command shift and drag a corner to resize the whole image in proportion. It simply crops the image to where I drag the boundary box. This happened perhaps 15 times. Then I tried clicking on the middle circle to just get the golden border around the image inside the boundary box. I then can use the shift key and it resizes fine without the boundary box coming along with it. I then go an extra keyboard step and command option C and the boundary box snaps to the newly resized image. That is 2 keyboard steps more than simply command shift dragging the box to resize but a lot easier than guessing away with the menu scale box to resize it.

Then for the heck of it, I made a new image box, imported a new image, sized the boundary box to it and just tried what I used to work with command shift drag to resize and it worked fine. I went back to the first image box that originally would only crop with this keyboard resize combo and it then resized just fine. Now it works. But nothing was done or changed in my system. I am afraid it will not hold consistently as previously, as it did work occationally and briefly maybe one out of every 40 times I attemtped it in frustration. So I will keep you posted again if the problem has mysteriously actually stopped or if it was just some mysterious fluke making it work for a very short time.

Thanks for your advice on all this,

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution for me was this:

THANK YOU! My IT guy was finally able to figure out what was wrong. And just like you said something was running along with it. So to figure this out he cleared out my computer and started from scratch. He downloaded the adobe programs and one at at time started to add the server and other applications like Word, testing Indesign in between. It wasn't until until he loaded the ANTI-VIRUS that the commands on the keyboard stop working. It turned out that the anti-virus that we use called Webroot had a drop down called "Pause secure Keyboard Entry". This had to be checked on and once it was turned on my keyboard and hot keys started to work again!!!! So happy that this was finally resolved it took months to figure out.

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 12.56.29.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 12.56.40.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 12.58.54.png

I am so happy too!

Cheers,

Egils

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am glad you found a solution! I however, do not have an antivirus software yet on my computer(literally brand spankin' new today)... so I am so confused/interested in fidning out why I have this issue.  Anyone else have similar issues but do not have an antivirus software installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - after having similar issues, I found a solution. My issue was the fact that I could not scale an image proportionally using Option+Shift and dragging the corner of an image/shape down. It just was not working at all on my Mac(Catalina)/InDesign. After reading through some of these comments and comments on threads pertaining to other random issues I was having, my options were to close out of ALL programs and browsers. That didn't fix my issue(s). I then restarted my computer and made sure InDesign was the ONLY program I opened, IT WORKED. I was then able to open other programs and it still continued to work. 

Doesn't seem like the best fix, but it worked. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines