• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images from CC library can't be linked or placed in indesign document

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question: I have placed images in my indesign document from a CC image library that I created. This worked perfectly until today. When I now open my document Indesign indicates that my images are missing. All images in the image link panel  with CC cloud icon show a red dot, meaning the link can not be found. However, my library shows the images are still there, and the name of the library and of the images are still the same.

So, I tried to re-connect the link of one of these images to the image in the library. A soon as I select the correct image and try to update the link I get this notification: The image does not excist, you don't have the rights or the image is used by another application. 
I can also not place or replace the images in my document by dragging images from that CC library. What I can do is open these images from the library in Photoshop. So the do excist. Images from other libraries can also not be placed in my file. So Indesign has trouble connecting with my CC cloud files. How can I make that connection working again? Anyone?
Thanks.

TOPICS
Import and export , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have placed images in my indesign document from a CC image library that I created

How did you create the Library? Were you opening and adding Photoshop cloud files (.psdc)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created the library in the CC application. I dragged and dropped images from my desktop into the library. And that worked just fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my post below about using the Creative Files Folder rather than the CC Libraries panel for remote sharing.

InDesign links have to have a local file path—you can’t link to a URL. So even when the CC Libraries panel is working as expected, the library asset has to be downloaded to a hidden temorary folder in the system when it is added to the layout. For that reason I would never store linked assets in a CC Library—instead I store the project assets in my CFF folder and use Bridge to drag and drop them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@etiennee77214364 Has this worked itself out for you yet? I've had trouble with my libraries in the past and it seems to be some type of syncing problem that eventually resolves itself with time. That's frustrating, for sure, and crazy to try to figure out how to apply a fix when you can open library assets into one application but not another. Sometimes it's an InDesign cache build up, too many Adobe processes running in the background, file corruptions, a million little things that add up. Try saving the InDesign file as an .idml and then open that and save back as an .indd. That often works on a ton of problems. Let us know if you are still having trouble!

JainLemos_0-1625681162093.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jain, I have not changed a thing but by this morning all linkes are restored again.
I'ts scary to not know what the problem was. Even after a few full restarts the images would not connect. When working on thight sceduled big projects this is not something you want. Too much stress. For me the CC Library seemed to be the ideal solution to be able to work at home and at our studio on another computer without having to worry about missing images that would be on one computer and not on the other. But it needs to 100% secure. I just can't sell it to my clients that I missed deadlines because my images are missing while I could actually see them in the CC Library but could not reconnect them. So, for now, I'm back to the old external harddrive, dragging assets and backup files to the office and back untill I have an idea why this is happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the CC Library seemed to be the ideal solution...So, for now, I'm back to the old external harddrive, dragging assets and backup files to the office and back untill I have an idea why this is happened.

Hi @etiennee77214364 , you don’t have to use the CC Libraries panel to work remotely. Just create a folder inside of your Creative Files Folder, which by default is installed in your user folder, and save all of your project assets there.

The contents of the CFF folder are automatically sync’d to your cloud account, and any computer that logs into that account. So if you log into your account at work, the InDesign file and its assets will also be sync’d to that computer.

If you want to collaborate with another CC user, you can right click the local folder, choose View on Web, click the Share icon and send out an invite. When the invitation is accepted the folder will also sync to the collaborator’s CFF folder.

Screen Shot 51.png

When working from the CFF folder, linked assets have an explicit local file path, so even if the Adobe server is down or you don’t have an internet connection, the link status will be normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,
I know and I did in the past work this way as well.
But also here I've got into trouble recently when synchronization of files could not be completed because of some error. I had to clear all kinds log files and what not, re-install Indesign and the CC application to fix that problem. It's working again now but that was also one of the reasons why I now started to work with image libraries. 
What I like about the image library is that I can categorize images into subjects or in chapters and share it that way with my clients so they can see if the images they have sent me and that I'm working with are correct.  
And when I colaborate with freelancers via the CF folder they don't need to sync a ton of images asswell but just the Indesign file. When it works... it's absolutely fantastic! When not... it's pretty stressful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see that, although I’m not sure you need to resort to transporting a hard drive, which would have its own set of problems (when you lose the drive when was the last time it was backed up, and how would you collaborate with a remote user?).

We both experienced the temporary Library problem at the same time, so it must have been server related.

What I don’t like about Library assets is the local file still has to sync when you make an edit, but its file path is hidden and temporary. From ID I have to use Edit Original to get at the temporary cloud file, which then syncs after I make the edit. There might not be any real problem with that other than a bloated OS private folder, but it takes a bit more faith in the cloud system when there isn’t an explicit file path and the Library panel is broken.

Screen Shot 56.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@etiennee77214364 Thanks for letting us know. This is what has happened to me before... I didn't change a thing and the links are restored. I do think this is a syncing problem of some sort. I spent a lot of time organizing my libraries once only to have them revert. Then the next day they reappeared. I like the library feature a lot for organizing but you are right that you can't take a chance this will happen when on a deadline. In general, I've learned not to work with clouds unless absolutely necessary for teams. Even dropbox gets very wonky on me and I ended up uninstalling it locally on my computer because of all the syncing headaches. I also like the control of knowing everything is on my hard drives at my fingertips, lol. Too many lost hours with my head in the cloud! Sorry this happened to you and I hope one day the library feature will be a lot more reliable. At best it is a cautionary tale for others. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m seeing the same.

I prefer to use my Creative Cloud Files folder for storing commonly placed assets—files in the CCF folder automatically sync to the cloud. But all of the test graphics in my CC Library (IDMS, PSD) are currently broken, including newly added items. Might be a problem with the cloud servers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But also here I've got into trouble recently when synchronization of files could not be completed because of some error.

Also, files in the CCF folder will not sync if you use an illegal character, so everyone collaborating should know what they are:   |, ", ?, <, >, /, \, *, and : 

There are other limitations which are listed here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/arent-my-files-syncing.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines