Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images missing when I 'publish online'

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2019 Mar 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I'm trying to create a digital version of a newspaper I have worked on for a client. It's on its 17th edition now and I've not come across this problem before - everything has always worked perfectly.

Two of the links/images are missing from the digital version. Everything looks fine on various browsers on my Mac but the two images appear to be missing when my client tries to view the newspaper on her PC.

Any ideas? I'm stumped!

One of the images is a pdf and the other is a jpeg so I can't even put it down to file type. The same document contains lots of jpegs and pdf links/images so not sure why these two would keep throwing up problems.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can your client see them in a different browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, she has tested in two different browsers and still not seeing them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it helps, this is the link...

<iframe style="border: 1px solid #777;" src="https://indd.adobe.com/embed/397a6988-c9f1-48f7-abb7-ec91ea4ed2d0?startpage=1&allowFullscreen=true" width="525px" height="371px" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On which page are the missing images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was the top right image on page 6 and the top right image on page 9. However, now my client can't even see the digital document, she just gets a message saying the link is broken. It seems to be happening on PCs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi VickyC112 ,

opened your link from reply #3 with my Firefox browser on Windows 10.

I can see no missing images at all.

Page-6-7.PNG

Page-8-9.PNG

What's the Windows version your client is using?
What browser and browser version?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for testing. I got in touch with Adobe Support and they suggested it could be AdBlocker in Google Chrome which is causing the issue. My client tells me it's working fine now (after pausing AdBlocker) but I have no idea why it suddenly stopped working properly as she has had AdBlocker installed for a while and previous issues of this newspaper have all worked without problems.

I guess I'll just have to wait until I create the next issue and see what happens!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into a similar issue with a placed pdf for a magazine ad showing up as a broken link when it was published online.  It turned out to be a filenaming issue. I first tried replacing it with a screenshot of the ad and embedding, thinking that would idiot proof the process. I was carrying the problem forward by carrying the filename forward to the png file, even though I was embedding. As soon as I truncated the name and eliminated the offending character, it took care of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg,

what was the offending character or the offending sequence of characters?

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that the client did a cut and paste when they named the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the person submitting the pdf had cut and pasted the file name. 

LS SEP20 KDMF | VMC_brandAds-03-dad.pdf    

That divider between KDMF and VMC looked suspicious. I think that was it. All I know is that when I deleted it and replaced the file, everything worked fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the "pipe" character was it. Not allowed with file names e.g. on Windows.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Indesign 19.0.1

Captura de pantalla 2023-11-08 a las 11.29.31.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @danitosan ,

did you inspect file names and file paths for "special characters" like the "pipe" character that obviously could be one source of trouble?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll check it, but this same documen was published and updated without issues for at least 2 years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem since yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue started yesterday. Some images disappear after the document is published online. The images in Indesign are properly linked, but there is a problem with the Publish Online feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I updated the same document on Monday and it was fine, yesterday I updated it again and my client called me to tell me about the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a major server bug problem that has appeared in the past, if you follow this thread. It is happening again. It is not in your imagination. We have a national team of seasoned designers and I'm hearing it from West to east. This is not a matter of user error or young designers not knowing how to leverage the software properly, or fumbling linked assets in the layout.  I have been trying to see it for myself and the publish online is spitting back broken image digital deliberables. We need this fix ASAP. This is impacting the material our sales organization uses to pitch or  promote client assets. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same here, since yesterday. I even tried 'Publish Online' a document that had worked before yesterday and now the images appear as blank boxes like the ones posted by @danitosan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines