• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In Fond Remembrance - Theunis De Jong (1966-2020)

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

On behalf of Adobe and the InDesign community, we have created this spark page in memory of one of our dearest ACPs, Theunis De Jong.

We thank everyone who has taken time to relive their memories of Theunis through this community post.

Theunis' legacy will continue to live through the many people that he has inspired and helped on this community. We cannot be grateful enough for all his contributions. Our deepest condolences to his family and his loved ones.

Theunis' profile page on this community: https://community.adobe.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/11784244

Thanks,
Srishti Bali

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, what a loss for this community. Jongware has left a very big void in this space that will be almost impossible to fill, having the know-how of something and also the passion to share it is a rare thing in our world and he had both these qualities in abundance. It was an honor to share this space with him. You will be fondly remembered always by InDesign scripters. RIP

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so sorry to read Theunis has departed.

He was a continual inspiration. I often asked myself, how did he manage to do this or that, things I thought that were impossible to achieve with scripting.

He will be remembered well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The world of InDesign is diminished by his passing. He will be missed by all whose lives and careers he has touched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to hear this. He helped me once or twice with a complicated GREP query in other forums.

For him it was a piece of cake, and was always willing to help other people out. 

My condolances to his family and friends.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many years ago, when I just started writing scripts, I was blessed to find the Adobe Community pages. People like Theunis De Jong, Peter Kahrel, Dave Saunders, Loic Aigon, Uwe, Marc Autret and many others helped me and many other community members become better at what we love to do, sharing their wisdom, guiding us in becoming better scripters, to always excel in what we do, to always search for answers, to help others finding solutions, ... I can honestly say I would not be the person I'm today without all those inspiring people. Theunis helped me and so many others in so many occasions. He was a true inspiration to us all. Rest in peace Theunis ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He will be missed.  He was a great person and his knowledge helped me immensely. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Theunis helped me (us) many times with my (our) projects. He did always, giving us usefull tips and solutions, keeping track of our progress, and enjoying our success.

It's a big loose 'cause he was not only a clever guy but a GREAT GUY.

I (we) will miss you.

RIP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This terrible news saddened me deeply. Theunis' scripting forums contributions and clever solutions sharing have always been crucial in solving the scripting problems I have faced so often. I really appreciated the time he dedicated to us, the beginners. Deep condolences to his family and rest in peace, dear Theunis.

Thank you for all your help, you always stay a shining scripting star.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't been logged into this forum for quite a while, and was saddened to see the terrible news. I have been part of the forum and its earlier incarnation for 21 years (using various screen names) and have been helped along the way by Theunis. I have always been in awe of the scripting guys and they inspired me to introduce GREP processes into where I work. The difference to some of our workflows and efficiency is phenomonal, and it is in part down to the inspiration I got from posts by jongware, along with Dave Saunders and Peter Kahrel. 

His death is a massive loss to the whole InDesign community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very sorry to hear this news. He was younger than myself.
RIP

practice safe design | use a concept ~ Petrula Vrontikis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just learned about Jongware yesterday, and I have started using his maze making script in InDesign. It is of great help, and I am sorry to hear about such an amazing community member passing away.

My condolences to his family, friends, and loved ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new here too, and find it very saddening that someone younger than my own youngest has died.  It is hard to hear.

My heartfelt sympathy to those who loved him, and I hope he went quickly and peacefully.

Margaret

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really a great loss for all of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All too late to this now-7 months old thread.

Theunis, if you are out there, there's a lot of love in the room for you.  I was one of hundreds of people you shared your craft with, bothered to explain what it was and how you did it.  You will always be a model for all of us.  So many thank you's for giving yourself to all.

Chuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry to hear (somewhat belatedy) of the passing of Theunis. I only found out as MIT seem to have taken down his site http://jongware.mit.edu/fm12js-html/fm12js/ This was my reference whenever I was working with Extendscript in FrameMaker. I am extremely gratefull to Theunis for taking the time to both create it and to make it public. We only crossed paths in the FrameMaker forum a few times, sadly. He is greatly missed. My condolences to his family. So young!

I have sent a message to MIT about the site. If I can I will put it up on my own, as it is a fantastic resource.

Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have sent a message to MIT about the site. If I can I will put it up on my own, as it is a fantastic resource.

Jon

By @JonBe

It would be fantastic, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am in almost disbelief reading this now 3 years later... I was a colleague of Theunis in 2010/2011 as an intern. I learned incredibly much about Indesign from him and the other colleagues. He was such an inspiration for me, but also a very kind person.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines