• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Incompletely rounded corners in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated to the newest version of InDesign on my machine, InDesign 14.0.3.

Working on a project, I noticed that I could no longer create rectangles with completely rounded corners. I'm not certain I could do this in the previous version, but I know I've done this in past INDD projects.

My example below shows a 1 in. square. In my Properties / Appearance dialog box, I've set it to .5 in rounded, but you can see it's not quite round.

Of course, we typically don't make circles this way, but if you want a pill shape (such as currently used ALL OVER the Adobe website), this is how you would make one.

An earlier post — https://community.adobe.com/t5/InDesign/Indesign-Limiting-Rounded-Corner-Options/m-p/8742065 — refers to a similar issue. The accepted answer involves resetting preferences. I've done that and deleted my cache files, and had the same issue upon restarting InDesign.

Any pointers on how to fix this? This really seems like a bug to me.

Thanks!

imperfect-rounded-corners-indesign.png

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't recall ever being able to make a pill shape in the manner that you are asking. The way that I've always done it is to draw a circle and pull a copy of it holding the shift. Then with the direct selection tool I select and delete the the side points of both circles leaving the perfectly round sides of the pill. Then I select the two top end points of each with the direct selection tool and go through  Object>Paths>Join. I then repeat that with the two bottom end points to finish the pill.

PILL.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm! Maybe I didn't ever do this on InDesign. That's really strange! I can do it in Illustrator, just tested it. Yes, I did exactly what you just suggested. But was hoping I was missing something. In that case, maybe I should make a feature request to Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is certainly easier in Illustrator. In that program you can also take a stroke with round endcaps and use Object>Flatten Transparency which will quickly expand the stroke into a path of a pill-like shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jlcpu: you can log a feature request here: https://indesign.uservoice.com/.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can make any shape in Illustrator, copy/paste him to ID and convert to text frame. Round corners feature never says that you will have a circle at the right/left.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines