Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 15.1.1 freezes after start on Windows 10

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I've seen several posts about issues with InDesign freezing/crashing/just not working. I have now experienced this on my Windows 10 Home Build 18362. So what happens? I open the program and I can quite literally do NOTHING and within less than a minute it become unresponsive. I don't press anything, or do anything it just opens up, sits for a bit, and becomes unresponisve. I can't interact with it, minimize the window, or do anything. I literally have to open the Task Manager to force close it.

lorene36561185_0-1595648486483.png

It'll show this in the Task Manager. It will eat up a crap ton of  the CPU... sometimes even getting it to 100%. All the things I've tried:

Uninstalling / Reinstalling

Uninstalling and trying older versions

Closing program / Deleting the preferences from the Appdata folders / Restarting program

Uninstalling/deleting the old preferences/reinstalling

Going to the start up menu and using "Run as Administrator" (that causes it to crash faster)

Turning off Adobe Fonts in Creative Cloud

Turning off file sync / turning on file sync

Opening it from different places: the Start Menu, Creative Cloud Desktop, the .exe file itself

Opening it long enough to turn off the splash screen, closing and reopening

Pausing my antivirus software

Checking the permissions of the Preference folders (the ones in Users/AppData/Local and Roaming) and they were set to allow everything as far as I could tell.

The only things I've managed to do to get it to start are use different users on the computer. One was an admin, it took a moment to start but got started and seemed to work fine. Looking at the Task Manager it used far less resources and only had 2 to 3 Adobe CEP HTML Engines going at any one time. I went and tried an old standard user account that I haven't used in awhile, and loaded up InDesign on it. It seems that worked as well though it had more like a dozen or more Adobe CEP HTML Engines going and did eat up my CPU until it finally calmed down.

I don't believe it is an administrative issue, as using "Run as Adminsistrator" and using a non-admin account have worked. It seems to be something with this particular user account causes it to freeze. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it? Is there something I can to clear any lingering files attached to the user because I don't want to get rid of the user account or have to start all over with a new one.

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Hi Lorene,

So sorry to hear about this trouble. As you have already tried all the basic steps, it looks like we need to troubleshoot this on a live session. Please head here (https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html) and select the chat button in the lower-right corner of the page. We can help troubleshoot faster that way. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the system specs? RAM, Processor, SSD or mechanical drive.

Are you opening files that use a document fonts folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

The C drive is an SSD.

32GB of RAM

I'm not even opening a files. I can open a new untitled document and it'll freeze. I can open it, do nothing, and it freezes. So I can't tell you if any file uses a document font folder, because I don't even need a file to open to freeze it. I should also note, that the account that is having issues is a local account. I forgot that Windows 10 has the local accounts and then the other accounts that are linked to a Microsoft account. However, the old user I talked about before that also worked (that wasn't an admin) is also a Local Account. So it might not matter much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lorene,

So sorry to hear about this trouble. As you have already tried all the basic steps, it looks like we need to troubleshoot this on a live session. Please head here (https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html) and select the chat button in the lower-right corner of the page. We can help troubleshoot faster that way. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the quite same issue today. and also tried nearly all possiblilities like:

* delete user profile

* reboot

* reinstall Indesign

* run as admin

but doesn't help.

it works but also, when i swiched my windows user. does somebody really know what happens here?

thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I am facing the exact issues, and have tried all the steps but the app still keeps crashing. I tried to updgrade and downgrade the Indesign, still I am facing the exact same issue. The app currently is installed on Amazon Workspace, so I dont even have an option to change the user.

There are some other threads which say that the freeze issue might arise due to error 184 in creative cloud. I have been unable to resolve this error as well. Any help from Adobe professionals will be really appreciated. 

See this link, where a user says that the error might be becasue of compatibitliy issues between AWS and Adobe. 

https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?messageID=915958

Best,

Yash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines