• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign 16.0, 16.1 crashing my brand new MacBook Air (Apple M1 chip)

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a brand new Macbook Air (I had it for 2 days!) using the Apple M1 chip and Mas OS Big Sur, and since I installed and used Indesign, my computer is crashing and freezing all day long. 

I know the latest version of Adobe Suite is not made for Apple M1 but before downloading it, it says we can use the Intel version.

To which point is this causing the issues? Need to find out if the problem is coming from my new Mac or from the compatibility of Indesign and the new Apple M1 chip.

Help. This new computer is working even worth than the previous one that I bought 8 yrs ago.

Please Adobe team advise, and let me know if this Intel version is really supposed to work correctly with the Apple M1 chip.

Thanks

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

The M1 chip is not supported yet for InDesign. Rosetta 2 (which does a translation for M1) doesn't work well with InDesign.

For more information, see this thread:

M1 Mac. Has anyone used In Design with the new Mac with m1 chip? plus Photo Shop?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Hi all,

Sorry about the inconvenience caused. The first Beta release of InDesign for Apple silicon M1 is now available to download. Please try installing by following the instructions on this page and share your observations with us.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I also would like to know when the Adobe CC suite will work with the new M1 MacBook Air and Pro as I am considering purchasing one for my daughter's school starting in end of January 2021. I have been advised by the school to purchase a previous model with the Intel chip, but surely Adobe will be releasing updates that work with the new M1 chip very soon, right? When will that happen?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm having the same issue. Very frustrating when working to a deadline and need to restart my computer over ten times a day. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The M1 chip is not supported yet for InDesign. Rosetta 2 (which does a translation for M1) doesn't work well with InDesign.

For more information, see this thread:

M1 Mac. Has anyone used In Design with the new Mac with m1 chip? plus Photo Shop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I agree with Steve. Adobe is actively working to build apps that run natively on Apple computers using the Apple Silicon M1 chip.

Please stay tuned on this help article for more updates about it.

You may try troubleshooting suggested on this community post(https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/resolve-slow-performance-and-unexpected-behavior-of-indesign...) & see if it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having the same issue too (and this is a problem when working with strict deadlines!).

If it can help, I have noticed that Indesign does not crash when I start using it, but after a while. Afer that, if I cancel the cache, it works well for a little bit longer.

Is there any idea on when it will be possibile to have this problem solved?

I see in the thread given by Steve that on Indesign there are no "knows issues"... 

Many thanks everyone for any advice.

Regards 
Sara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And? I have tried lots of thigs but I am very very angry and upset specially for the ammount ot times I have to restart. Is it a problem of Adobe or Apple? 

Have you tried something else? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on who you ask, but any time you are running something under an emulation, you're taking a chance.

Lots of issues being reported with M1 machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the rest of this thread!

The problems are two-fold. Your new ARM chip (M1)-based Mac uses a totally different microprocessor than the one that the Adobe applications were designed and compiled for. With these new systems, Apple has provided an Intel instruction set emulator (Rosetta 2) to make it appear to the application that the system indeed has an Intel processor running on an Intel-based Mac. But there have been “issues” with that emulator.

Adobe is in the process of providing “M1-native” versions of Adobe Creative Cloud and Document Cloud applications for these new Mac systems, but until those are ready (and we are doing our best to get those updated versions completed, tested, and released ASAP) and/or Apple fixes a number of its Rosetta 2 and MacOS issues, running on a “bleeding edge” system for production purposes is problematic.

Sorry!

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

Sorry about the inconvenience caused. The first Beta release of InDesign for Apple silicon M1 is now available to download. Please try installing by following the instructions on this page and share your observations with us.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines