• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 16.0.2. crashes computer to death (black screen) on Big Sur 11.1.

Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign 16.0.2 on Big Sur 11.1.:

after opening existing file and trying to make new version of it (Save As), computer (iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)) crashes to death (CTD) to black screen. It occured me for third day now. 

Thank you for introducing frequent updates which makes thing worse and worse, dear Adobe!

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It must be something else happening on your computer.

I run InDesign 6.0.2 and Big Sur 11.1 continuously and successfully on two computers (MacBook Pro and MacBook Air).

Have yuu tried restoring your InDesign preferences and caches?

Adobe InDesign: Rebuilding Preferences and Cache Files ...www.rockymountaintraining.com › Adobe InDe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I did not, but I will try it.

This happens only with InDesign, no other app, even no other Adobe CC app is doing this.

Will let you know if prefs workaround will work.

(Still, as profi user - it's annoying that you have to search for workarounds... Proffesional apps should just work, like Adobe's apps did once, long time ago. I understand that with subscription model company feels, that they need something to show, that they are improving their software, but frequent updates several times a year means, that there is no time to debug their work, no time for proper beta testing, and so they bring their paying customers as beta testers, what is shame). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be that when you updated InDesign, your preferences were copied along. Restoring preferences with an updated installation is a common solution to various issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. In addition to resetting preferences suggested by Steve, you may also try suggestions given on this community post(https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/resolve-slow-performance-and-unexpected-behavior-of-indesign...).

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried resetting preferences, with no avail. In the meantime I updated InDesign to latest version16.1.

Crashing computer to black screen is still happening, on daily basis.

I could imagine crashing InDesign app only as behaviour of either some bug in app or invalid preferences. But crashing to death of computer is very serious problem which should Adobe deal with. No other app is doing it, nor any other app withing Creative Cloud apps. It happens with InDesign only when I try to Save As an opened file with different suffix (versioning).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines