• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 16.2.1 freezes on startup (Windows 10 Pro) during "Starting up Service Registry"

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't actually "freeze", since the CPU consumption remains very high, but it just says there forever. Tried leaving it for 2h and still no progress.

Computer has a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU  with 32 Gb RAM. OS: Windows 10 Pro (build 19042.804)

Things I've tried:

- Uninstalling and reinstalling, with and without deleting the AppData InDesign folders

- Trying to apply the SING folder solution (the folder doesn't exist)

- Removing all unavailable printers, removing all printers leaving just Microsoft's Print to PDF, running with no printers configured. 

- Running as an Administrator

- Running in Windows 7/8 compatibility mode

- Disconnecting all network shares

In all of the above, the behavior remained the same.

(I'm using the InDesign that's part of a full CS subscription, FWIW)

Any other ideas could try?  

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Managed to fix it using another thing I read out there:

1) Create a new user account

2) Log in and start InDesign

3) Log out and back to the old account

4) Replace completely the AppData\Adobe\Indesign folders of the old account with the new one, in both the Local\ and Roaming\ profiles.

Seriously, Adobe, to have this kind of behavior in this kind of software is simply unacceptable. Fix your stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much spare disk capacity do you have?

Have you tried resetting the InDesign preferences?

Do you have any third-party applications, such as a font manager, installed?

Maybe you should uninstall InDesign using the Adobe Cleaner Tool:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying. 

- Free space:. About 100 Gb. 

- I'm not sure what you mean by resetting the InDesign preferences - I uninstalled the whole thing so I guess that covers it.

- No, no font managers

- CC Cleaner Tool : Tried it, uninstalled and re-installed InDesign - same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this is what it has open.,  (The crash error log referred to though is empty, unfortunately)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could do with freeing more disk space.

By the way, to reset the InDesign preferences:

1) Close InDesign
2) Double click on Adobe InDesign's icon to launch it
3) QUICKLY hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift. (for Windows) or CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X)
4) When a dialogue appears, ask you “Delete InDesign Preference Files?” Click Yes.

(If you don't see the question do it again.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my understanding, deleting the AppData folders has the same effect as the above, so I've already tried it.

https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Managed to fix it using another thing I read out there:

1) Create a new user account

2) Log in and start InDesign

3) Log out and back to the old account

4) Replace completely the AppData\Adobe\Indesign folders of the old account with the new one, in both the Local\ and Roaming\ profiles.

Seriously, Adobe, to have this kind of behavior in this kind of software is simply unacceptable. Fix your stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not talking to Adobe, we are just volunteers who try and help other users like you.

It doesn't help if you're rude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot must have changed while I wasn't looking if saying "fix your stuff, Adobe. This is unacceptable" is considered now rude.  Excuse me? This is not some $30 shareware program from a just-graduated developer. For the money that I'm paying I certainly do expect this crappy software to be able to at least START, and hopefully, do some useful work after that. It's already enough that I have to put up with all the rest of the crap and crashes once it does start. So yes, Adobe, fix your stuff. 

I am aware that this is a community-driven forum, but I'm also aware that the forums ARE monitored by Adobe.

And unless the rules of English have also changed while I wasn't looking, if someone says "Adobe, blah blah blah", it means two things: 1) He's talking to Adobe.  2) He's not talking to you, unless you're called Adobe or are an Adobe employee, which doesn't seem to be the case. If you take offense at something not addressed to you, you should really think why that is so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, adobe helpdesk employees (if your existence is physical and not some AI answering):

win10 professional.
enough disk space.
enough RAM.
good, solid NVDIA graphic card.
no viruses.

I literally did EVERYTHING that was recommended here and in other forums, I even installed and ran the cloud cleaner tool, I ran the system scan and repair command, change compatibility, install older versions etc. etc. etc. etc.

and, yes, I tried the thing with deleting the folders etc.
NOTHING worked. my inDesign does not start. it freezes on loading service registry. which maybe is progress, last week it froze on loading startup services.

and all YOU say here is the same old same old.
I am starting to feel like the IT-crowd user on the phone who is asked if he tried to "switch it off and on again"!

I wrote this several times in the adobe discussions regarding this issue: SOLVE the problem!
I don't understand why WE, as PAYING users, have to deal with YOUR technical problems and do YOUR job! I have no time for this. I work professionally with inDesign and today alone I spent 4 hours trying to get rid of this bug... and obviously I am NOT the only one. I have work to finish, my clients will not pay me for waiting. my program doesn't function now for 3  months! until last week I was able to restart my PC and then open inDesign before everything else was loading and this did the trick, but, alas!, not anymore since 5 days ago!

what you should consider is to built your program from scratch, it obviously is deeply corrupted, outdated and crappy. and in the meantime grant each user who had problems with these issues a one year free abonnement and the fees for an alternative third party program I will have to install because YOUR inDesign DOESN'T WORK properly!

ADOBE SUCKS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Jörg,

hast Du möglicherweise das Programm "GDATA TOTAL SECURITY" von GDATA am Laufen?

Dann schaue Dir mal diese Diskussion auf HDS an:

ID CC 2019 und 2020: Crash beim Startvorgang
Rudix p, 7. Jul 2020, 13:12
https://www.hilfdirselbst.ch/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=576034#576034

Hier wird zwar zunächst nur von InDesign 2019 und 2020 gesprochen, aber das Problem scheint universeller Natur zu sein und existiert wohl auch mit InDesign 2021 oder älteren Versionen wie InDesign CS 5.5. Siehe auch den einen Link dort zu einem Adobe InDesign Forum-Beitrag hier:

Problem with starting Adobe InDesign, error message
Maximilian5C9A, Nov 11, 2020
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/problem-with-starting-adobe-indesign-error-message/m-p/11599...

Könnte natürlich auch ein anderer Virenscanner sein, der Probleme macht.

Gruß,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

danke für die antwort, aber... nein, ich hab nix von GDATA laufen. und ich werde ganz sicher mein (bezahltes) virenprogramm (kaspersky) nicht abdrehen, nur damit inDesign läuft. kann ja wohl nicht sein, oder?

ich kann inDesign inzwischen unter einem anderen microsoft-account öffnen, aber, sorry, ich seh überhaupt nicht ein, warum ich einen zweiten user account NUR für inDesign verwenden soll. das programm ist offensichtlich grundlegend schlecht programmiert. ich erwarte, dass adobe das löst, NICHT ICH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Jörg,

bei GDATA wäre es nicht um das "Nicht-Nutzen" gegangen, sondern um eine Einstellung im Programm oder um ein bestimmtes Update. Bei Kasperski bin ich mir nicht sicher, ob das Auswirkungen haben könnte.

Du schreibst: "…ich kann inDesign inzwischen unter einem anderen microsoft-account öffnen".

Du hast also einen neuen Benutzer angelegt mit dem InDesign startet?

Liegt's dann möglicherweise an der Rechteverwaltung des anderen Nutzers?

Ich kann da nur raten.

Wende Dich an den Adobe-Nutzer-Service und schreib' einen Bug-Report auf InDesign UserVoice:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

Gruß,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you can tray this solution
remove all fonts except original fonts and open again indesign

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines