• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2017CC Freezes MacOS Sierra 10.12.4

Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am encountering some rather odd behaviour from Adobe InDesign. Basically, whenever I open InDesign, the program will work pretty well for the first several minutes. It will even shut down properly when I quit. However, 95% of the time I open InDesign, my MacBook Pro will eventually freeze. This will happen pretty suddenly. I won't even get the spinning beach ball of death. My keyboard and my trackpad will simply become unresponsive, and my Apple clock will stop. The only solution is to hold down the power key to shut the computer down and restart.

For the remaining 5% of the time, my Apple session will suddenly become corrupted. Dropdown menus will suddenly turn invisible, or show portions of Adobe InDesign menus, rendering my session unusable, although I am able to get the system to restart.

I having gone through these incidents several times in the past couple of weeks, I have isolated the problem to InDesign. If I don't open the program -- even if I use Photoshop or Illustrator, I encounter no problems with my MacBook, and the system can stay up without trouble for days. Looking at Console following a failure, I sometimes see a reference to the Adobe Crash Daemon, but the console doesn't seem to explain any crash.

The crash usually takes place about fifteen minutes or so after I open InDesign, even if I subsequently close it. If I close my MacBook and go away, and then open it again, it opens up with a black screen and a mouse pointer, which shifts into the beachball of death, which itself freezes, and I have to do a hard reboot.

Any suggestions on what is going on?

I am using a MacBookPro 12,1 with 16 Gb of RAM, and MacOS Sierra 10.12.4 (Public Beta). This problem materialized before the upgrade to the latest public beta.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

James - have you tried disabling GPU performance?

I've just switched it off and, so far no glitches or hangs. It's early to say whether this is a complete 'fix' so I'll update when I know more, but for now it seems to be working

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frustratingly, this continues to happen. Just now, seventeen minutes after I opened InDesign, the program crashed on me and froze my MacBook completely, forcing a hard reboot. This is the system log information I have on the minute leading up to the crash:

=+=+=

Mar  8 17:14:37 Jamess-MacBook-Pro AdobeCRDaemon[27380]: Found Non empty list in getCrashWindowId thus processing further

Mar  8 17:14:37 Jamess-MacBook-Pro AdobeCRDaemon[27380]:  WindowId before Returning from GetCrashWindowId : (null)

Mar  8 17:14:40 Jamess-MacBook-Pro AdobeCRDaemon[27380]: Found Non empty list in getCrashWindowId thus processing further

Mar  8 17:14:40 Jamess-MacBook-Pro AdobeCRDaemon[27380]:  WindowId before Returning from GetCrashWindowId : (null)

Mar  8 17:14:41 Jamess-MacBook-Pro AdobeCRDaemon[27380]: File Directory used for checking the value /Users/jamesbow/Library/Logs/Adobe

Mar  8 17:15:12 --- last message repeated 4 times ---

Mar  8 17:15:24 Jamess-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit

Mar  8 17:15:47 Jamess-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit

Mar  8 17:16:04 --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Mar  8 17:16:04 Jamess-MacBook-Pro AdobeAcrobat[27510]: AdobeCrashReporterInitialize: executionTime = 0.001869 seconds

Mar  8 17:16:04 Jamess-MacBook-Pro AdobeCRDaemon[27511]: Starting CRDaemon

Mar  8 17:16:04 Jamess-MacBook-Pro AdobeAcrobat[27510]: Encoding = 0

Mar  8 17:16:37 Jamess-MacBook-Pro AdobeAcrobat[27510]: ARM Framework Log: Starting updater process for product with registration plist com.adobe.acrobat.dc

Mar  8 17:16:37 Jamess-MacBook-Pro AdobeAcrobat[27510]: ARM Framework Log: The Updater application has been verified

Mar  8 17:16:37 Jamess-MacBook-Pro AdobeAcrobat[27510]: ARM Framework Log: Checking updates for the product

Mar  8 17:16:37 Jamess-MacBook-Pro AdobeAcrobat[27510]: The return code after checking for updates is 1

Mar  8 17:16:37 Jamess-MacBook-Pro AdobeAcrobat[27510]: ARM Framework Log: Starting updater process for product with registration plist com.adobe.acrobat.dc

Mar  8 17:16:38 Jamess-MacBook-Pro AdobeAcrobat[27510]: ARM Framework Log: The Updater application has been verified

Mar  8 17:16:38 Jamess-MacBook-Pro AdobeAcrobat[27510]: ARM Framework Log: Checking updates for the product

Mar  8 17:16:38 Jamess-MacBook-Pro AdobeAcrobat[27510]: ARM Framework Log: ARM Helper exit with status 0

Mar  8 17:16:38 Jamess-MacBook-Pro AdobeAcrobat[27510]: ARM Framework Log: Check for updates has been completed. The status returned is 0

Mar  8 17:18:19 localhost bootlog[0]: BOOT_TIME 1489011499 0

=+=+=

Does anybody have any idea what is going on, here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey James,

Sad to see that you are facing problems with Indesign that  prevent you to work smoothly.

This seems to be a complex issue.

Can you please see if you are facing the same issue after trying each of the following one at a time?

1. Clean your indesign cache and preferences

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

2. Turn off type contextual controls just before opening any Indesign document

33DFD96E-9879-4E82-AFA0-ED6107B94AB5-1294-00000119C82E6E3A_tmp.png

3. Reinstalling indesign from creative cloud after uninstalling. (In the same partition)

4. Installing indesign on a new partition if that is feasible

if it is occuring while opening the same document again and again,  you can mail me your document at amaarora@adobe.com so that I am able to see why it is freezing your computer.

moreover, do you open indesign by clicking on a document or through creative cloud and then opening your document?

Also you can mail me the crash logs that you may have collected.

Aman

Indesign Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amaarora,

Thank you for your response. I've done steps one through three already, having consulted with Adobe's troubleshooting instructions, and this has had no effect. It's not feasible for me to load InDesign on a different partition, unfortunately. You raise an interesting point about the document itself possibly being a problem. I'm only working on one InDesign project at the moment, so it's a little hard to check this, but I will send you the document I have so you can verify if anything is the matter there.

In answer to your question, I typically open InDesign by going through my desktop applications folder and clicking on it there, and then I open my document. I'll try opening InDesign by clicking on it in Creative Cloud.

All the best,

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2017 Apr 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doesn't work. thanks for trying though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. And the solutions proposed doesn't work. It's a scandal!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here Installed 10.12.4 yesterday and today my iMac freezes completely each time I work with InDesign. I need to hard reboot my computer. I cleaned the caches, deleted the preferences, uninstalled and reinstalled InDesign from the Creative Cloud… Nothing works. I also tried to work with different documents. No effect. My iMac crashes. Apparently, no problem with Illustrator, Photoshop or any other Adobe CC app. I have been working for 2 hours now with Mail, Google Chrome, Spotify, Illustrator, Photoshop and After Effects opened. No problems to report. But I'm afraid of having to run InDesign again…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you try the solution mentioned at this page?Troubleshoot text selection issues

Let me know if it solves your problem.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried this and will keep you posted. From what I could tell, I'm not having issues with text selection - the crashes seem more random than that, but I figure it's worth a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aman, That didn't solve the problem. I've just had both the freezing and the graphical glitches occur multiple within the last 10 minutes. I wasn't selecting or working with text at any point - in fact at one point I was just scrolling through the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on! Did I mention problem with text selection? I don't think so! I'm currently working on the background of a poster and there are simply no text frames in the file for now. Sometimes the simple fact of launching InDesign (without opening a document) crashes my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Matches my experience completely.

I'm on a 2015 13" MacBook Pro - if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In normal scenarios cleaning preferences and cache should solve the problem. It may be possible that your crash is occurring because of some different reason, that is not specifically related to CC 2017. Posting additional information like mentioning workflow or specifying additional plugins used may help.

The troubleshooting document is only labeled as Troubleshoot text selection issues​ but also includes scenarios that can cause hang on selection of text frame.

Do mail me the document at amaarora@adobe.com if you can, so that I too can reproduce the issue and suggest a possible workaround if there is any.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked every day of this week with InDesign without any problem. Yesterday I installed the 10.12.4 and today, impossible to work with InDesign. It crashes my iMac. Simple as that. I did not install any new software on my computer, no additional plugins or whatever. Nothing except the new MacOS version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same here - only new factor is 10.12.4.

As I noted above, disabling GPU performance so far seems to 'fix' it - which makes me thing Apple changed a driver in 10.12.4 that caused some sort of issue. That said, the issues I'm experiencing aren't easily replicable, so I'm not sure whether I'm truly seeing a 'fix' yet or just a bug-free patch. Be interested in seeing if you've got GPU acceleration on, and whether switching it off resolves these particular issues for you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try to disable the GPU as soon as I can launch InDesign without crashing my computer and tell you what happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to use the reset preferences key combo to get to that point (While pressing Shift+Option+Command+Control, start InDesign. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.)

Hope it helps. My luck still seems to be holding out with it - no issues (visual or crashing) so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say, after being the only person to report this problem for days, seeing this blow up like this is somewhat vindicating. 😉

Clearly, the issue is with something that changed in the move to MacOS Sierra 10.12.4. I was on a beta version of that operating system when the problems started, and now everybody here has encountered this issue after upgrading to the release version of 12.4.

I have disabled GPU Performance (under Preferences > GPU Performance) and will let you know if this works. So far, it seems to be going well (fingers crossed)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have disabled GPU Performance for over an hour and a half now and everything seems to work perfectly. This morning, I was unable to work more than 10 minutes without freezing. It seems that we found the guilty guys

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Thank you!

"I had to use the reset preferences key combo to get to that point (While pressing Shift+Option+Command+Control, start InDesign. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.)"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the same issues: InDesign CC2017, MacOS 10.12.4.

Indesign will seemingly randomly freeze the entire system necesetating a complete re-start.

I've tried resetting preferences, reinstalling InDesign switching off font settings and clearing font caches. No success yet.

I'm working across two documents but see the issues in only one of them as far as I can tell, which leads me to think it's something specific to a certain type of document setup.

I've also seen some display glitches that may or may not be related - or may point to my issue being graphics / logic-board related. They range from glitchy lines on bits of the screen during animations (panel content changing, switching from one space to another), to black finder windows (and windows in other apps) and de-populated menus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James - have you tried disabling GPU performance?

I've just switched it off and, so far no glitches or hangs. It's early to say whether this is a complete 'fix' so I'll update when I know more, but for now it seems to be working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I been having this problem all day after updating, I thought it was a general problem with my imac. I've tried disabling the GPU, however this didn't fix the problem, after about 10 minutes it froze again. Any more advice???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, after deactivating GPU Performance, I was able to work for five hours without any problem. Will test again on Monday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. No indesign crashes since deactivating GPU performance.

However, I still see occasional glitchy lines at times of high GPU performance, and not just in InDesign, which makes me think there's an Apple bug introduced with 10.12.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines