• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2019 v14.01 spinning beachball every few seconds

Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When II open a file, if it's longer (say 60 pages) it spins every few seconds, hangs, and then comes back to life. Ad infinitum.

I am posting this new topic because everything I can find points to v14.00, not v14.01, and explains this exact issue. I've uninstalled all versions of InDesign, reinstalled, systematically removed other apps (Removed all Plugins, deactivated and uninstalled Extensis Suitcase Fusion, ESET Antivirus, Dattodrive sync, etc), deactivated fonts, cleansed all my links, and on and on. The only thing that seems to help is shortening the document, like whatever is taking place is looking at my whole document. Still beachballs but only for a second, and with a single page it doesn't interrupt but still doesn't feel fast.

I also ran Apples hardware test to make sure it wasn't just a broken GPU or something and everything came back positive.

To help get the obvious stuff out of the way:

1. Turned of Save Page Preview

2. Disabled all the fun font features (live preview, preview on hover, etc)

3. turned of page panel thumbnails

4. set view display to Typical and made sure those were at a normal level

System:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) 32GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB

External 30" Dell

Logitech Craft Keyboard and Mouse

Anyone have any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

When you uninstalled and reinstalled did you do it in the following manner?:

In the app section of your Creative Cloud desktop app click on the “V” next to the app’s (InDesign) name and choose the “Uninstall” option from the pull-down menu that appears. After you’ve run the uninstall then use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems . Then reinstall the program through the Desktop app. Before you reinstall, once again trash all preference

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working across a network or on a cloud drive rather than locally on your hard drive? If you are on some kind of network or server try disconnecting from it and see if you still have a problem. If you are on a network speak to your network administrator to make sure that all network software has been updated to be compatible with your version of InDesign and also your version of the Mac OS (you did not say what version of the OS you are running).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10.13 and no, not over a network. Over a network is how we typically work but that was another step in testing to deal with local files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two other things you should probably check.

If you're using High Quality Display Performance, you should try switching to Typical Display (View > Display Performance > Typical Display) especially if there are lots of complex images.

If you're using a Preflight Profile, turn off Preflight in the Preflight panel (Window > Output > Preflight).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood. Definitely made sure both of those were unchecked Before posting. I appreciate the help! This isn’t my first rodeo when it comes to troubleshooting Adobe product issues but I am stumped on this one. It’s also holding me back from implementing the new InDesign to my tram and I’m hoping it’s as simple as a setting or a future update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning Preflight off did the trick for me. Thank you sooo much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you uninstalled, did you make sure to Remove Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did. I also did the reset on launch, and have uninstalled all InDesign and reinstalled only the latest 2019 after confirming all OS updated were complete.  Essentially hoping anything that needed to be resolved was updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you uninstalled and reinstalled did you do it in the following manner?:

In the app section of your Creative Cloud desktop app click on the “V” next to the app’s (InDesign) name and choose the “Uninstall” option from the pull-down menu that appears. After you’ve run the uninstall then use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems . Then reinstall the program through the Desktop app. Before you reinstall, once again trash all preference files to make sure that your install is completely clean. Then launch InDesign and see if the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill, thanks. I am still fighting this issue. I had the opportunity to purchase a new mahcine so I decided to wait it out. Welp, back at it again with the latest non-Pro iMac and it's still doing it.

Though the issue seems the same, I want to blame fonts. I came into this with a clean install on a new machine, and it still stalls out every few seconds, for a few seconds.

So, I appreciate everyone's assistance but it's disappointing  someone decide to mark it as solved. I am sure there are many others out there who just went back to an old version out of frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being that you're installing InDesign on a brand new Mac and still having the same problem, there must be something else that you're installing that is causing the issue.

If you reinstalled Suitcase, try checking for type conflicts and other type issues: Resolving problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff, I'll continue my hunt. I tried this before installing anything but Microsoft and Adobe products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

I solved the beachball problem!!!

I went through every image in my document and reduced it's size to the smallest possible while still being "high res" .

It seems my problem was more the video rendering all the huge images. Now there is no problem.

My hardware is a MacMini (late 2012)

Hope this helps you

LMK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Martyhz, thanks for your feedback! Did not help me sadly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Posted the very same topic about a week ago. The only reply/response was concerning what hardware I was utilizing.

After much research I have narrowed my problem down to Universal Type Client 7.0.1. When Universal type client is completely disabled via stopping Type Core the spinning Beach Ball disappears completely.

The problem is most of my client's fonts are loaded on it and most do not resubmit fonts when printing new jobs. InDesign cc19 14.0.1 works great when fonts are loaded into the apps fonts folder on my desktop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info! I had an Extensis product (Fusion for teams) and that was one of my early checks. When I had the issue at 14.0 I went through the same troubleshooting only to find Adobe updated InDesign to resolve with 14.01. But then it returned. I've since moved to Fontbase.

I am almost certain it's font related, but I can't figure out why. It's the same fonts we've used for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's font related too. I'll be working along just fine and then Indesign will start constant beach ball on every move I make. I'm using Suitcase Fusion v20.0.3 (the latest) and the only way I can get Indesign working back a normal, responsive speed. Is to clear the font cache in Suitcase Fusion and restart my computer. Just closing Indesign and reopening it, doesn't make any difference. I also tried just restarting my computer, and that doesn't always work. The clearing of the font cache does.

No the big question: is it Suitcase Fusion causing all of this or is it something to do with fonts in general. Any advice from anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

So I know for a fact it's fonts, not a particular font but something about how InDesign handles fonts. I uninstalled and reinstalled Suitcase several times and in the end cancelled my subscription and now use Fontbase.

You can avoid the beachball problem by converting ALL fonts to a single one (using the Find Font dialog (make sure "Redefine Style" is checked). I'd tested this on a few problem documents and have always had success. Sadly it's not a real solution. I will add that I've mainly had this issue with EasyCatalog documents (I do not have EasyCatalog installed currently but the invisible characters are still present in the text frames). The length of the document is also key (typically I see this problem with 60+ page catalog files, but not with a 26 page magazine file).

I just updated to InDesign 2019 14.0.2 in the hopes one of the "fixes crashing..." notes would apply to me, but, alas, still does the same thing, same useless workaround applies but not a real world solution.

SO disappointing. Hope something here helps you, otherwise, ball continues to be in Adobes court. They changed SOMETHING and my hope is they'll fix it so we can use software newer than 2014 in exchange for our incredibly expensive subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Bob, I am currently on Mojave after purchasing a new machine (iMac 5k 2017), but the problem exists in the same form under High Sierra on my previous machine (iMac 5k 2015).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn of GPU Performance and disable and third party plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob, I did try this first thing and it did not affect anything positively. I've completely crippled InDesign and nothing has any effect except changing all fonts to a single one. No plugins are installed at this time so there's nothing to disable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm frustrated that this thread is marked as answered as well, because it is a big problem and it's not been solved. At my office, any file over 2 pages is beachball nightmare to work in.

I just wanted to thank you for all your hard work tearing this down. I too thought it was font issue but can't find any way to fix it. 

C'mon Adobe, help us out!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the comment Michelle, I'm sorry you're going through a similar issue. You don't use EasyCatalog do you? I've seen so many posts throughout various forums it's hard to believe Adobe isn't paying attention, but my heart sank when the new 14.0.2 InDesign update came and the problem was still there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every issue is different and saying you have the same problem is not going to help.

My suggestion if you want help is to start a new thread with full system specifications including the full build of InDesign, full build of your operating system, processor, RAM and type of harddrive (SSD vs mechanical HD).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines