• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2020 crashing while working with Text

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I try to COPY, CUT or PASTE text, InDesign crashes on my MacOS Catalina. I am using the most up to date version (15.0.1) but it was also happening with the previous version as well. 

UPDATE: I realize this occurence only takes place with the INDD specific file I am working on. I tried packaging the file and reopening it as IDML and the problem went away.  However, the fonts and styles were all gone even though they were included in the package. 

Because the original INDD file has private information, I went ahead and replicated the it, replaced all text with placeholder text, packaged the file here for anyone who wants to help investigate. The included INDD is identical with the original (except in text) and has the exact same crash issues mentioned above. They also include all original fonts (Montserrat-Light, Montserrat-Regular, Fira Sans-Light, Fira Sans-Regular). 

I've emailed the file to Adobe to see if they can troubleshoot. If you have any suggestions in the meantime, please let me know and I'll test out your suggestions. Appreciate any help!

https://cutit.org/yJv8P

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Hi xtinna2,

opened your sample document.

Tried to export a selection of text frames on the master page to an IDMS snippet file.

InDesign 2020 crashed immediately. The IDMS file was not written.

I'd say work on with the IDML file. Format your text anew. Also define new paragraph styles.

The current InDesign 2020 document is damaged beyond repair

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Hi All,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We've fixed this in the latest release. Please update your InDesign to v15.0.3 to get this fixed.

Here's a link with more details: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/37443781-indesign-crashes-when-editing-text

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also see that in the crashing document of xtinna2 there is a very strange value for the tint of the shading color for paragraph shading: -1 % ?!

ParagraphShading-TintValue-Minus-1-Percent.PNG

Unfortunately fixing this in the paragraph style is not the solution for making this document more stable. Did some tests:

I changed the name of the paragraph style "Basic Paragraph" to something else and enabled paragraph shading for a moment and disabled it. Now the tint of the disabled shading is showing as 100%.

After that I could export the document to IDML. But exporting a text frame to IDMS will still crash InDesign.

FWIW: Another screenshot showing the alternate layouts of the document together with the Paragraph Styles and Character Styles panels from my German InDesign 2020 on Windows 10:

AssumedCauseForCrash-AlternateLayouts-ParaStyles.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

xtinnna2,

did you before trouble set in, delete any of the Alternate Layout pages in your document? I am struggeling with the same issue and some clues may indicate that deleting [alternative layout] pages might be involved in triggering this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have narrowed down what triggers this. See this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-2020-v15-01-makes-corrupt-documents-linked-to-alter...

I have no fix though for a document that is already corrupt. We have stopped using the "Copy Text Styles to New Style Group" feature as it seems to be one of the necessary steps for triggering it. And we can manage without in our workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing is happening to me. Every time I copy, or click on the paragraph styles, InDesign crashes.

I'm working on a book on a deadline and having to recreate everything is really stressful. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC 15.1 unexpectedly quits when I copy text from the text box and it happens with multiple files, not in any specific file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Indesign community

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

we need more information to help you:
What's your operating system version?

Is a browser running in the background when the crash (?) happens?

More specific:

Is something special in your text that you copy?

Perhaps footnote texts? Hyperlinks? Tables that contain graphic cells?

Do you see a mutual formatting property of the text?

Perhaps you used the same paragraph style?

If that issue continues I would trash cache files (and preferences perhaps).

Before do a backup of cache and preferences folders.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. Now that I've seen this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-2020-crashes-on-using-the-text-tool/td-p/10847735

I wonder if the Property Panel can be the issue. Close the panel and try to copy text. Will InDesign crash?

Elise said in the initial post of the linked thread:

…Addendum : the Property panel might have something to do with it ; when it is not open, I can edit the text without crashes.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens on several documents, each containing Pantone spot colours (don't know if it may be related).

I've manually reset preferences, I've unchecked the advanced type options in the Preferences, I've tried saving the file as IDML and working on this new file, but it changed nothing. Everytime I click on the text with the text tool, ID crashes.

Version 15.0.1

Windows 10 v. 1903

GPU Nvidia RTX 2070

Thanks.

Addendum : the Property panel might have something to do with it ; when it is not open, I can edit the text without crashes.

{Renamed By MOD}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basic troubleshooting:

Reset InDesign preferences, hold down Shift+Ctrl+Alt keys while InDesign is launching.

Uninstall and re-install the application

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. I would request if you can share a few more details and try the steps below:

1. Is this happening with a specific file?
  2. Where is that file saved, locally or on any network or shared drive?
  3. Please share crash logs by following the steps shared in this help article: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html
  4. Could you please try booting the system into Safe Mode (https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode) and check how it works there. It starts your system so that it performs certain checks and prevents third party software/ services from automatically loading or opening. If it works fine in Safe mode, then there is some third party service or application like antivirus, plugins or web extensions which are conflicting with the InDesign. 

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh,Thank you for your quick answer. The problem happens with any local file that contains :
- Paragraph style,- Pantone spot colour,- Properties panel open.I've tried again under Windows Safe Mode, still the same problem.
If I close the Properties panel, no problemIf I convert my spot colours into CMYK colours, no problem.Hope it gives you some clues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
• Video recording of the crash?
• Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Sanyam Talwar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What font is the Property panel displaying by default?

Are you proof color settings on or are you in Overprint Preview?

Just to clarify--no spot color, with Property panel open--no problem?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By default it's Minion Pro, loaded from the system. One of the documents that crashes uses a Futura Condensed (futura.ttc), loaded from a Package folder.
I'm not in Overprint Preview, and yes : no spot color + Property panel open = no problem. Problem happens only if spot color being used.
Now : I've tried applying a Pantone spot color to a text in Minion Pro on a new document and this document doesn't crash, despite the Property panel being open. However the document with the Futura Condensed in the Package folder keeps crashing. So the font, and/or the fact it's loaded from Package folder, seems to be the guilty party... But why would that happen only when using spot colors is a mystery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just created a spot color, set the Basic Paragraph to the spot color. Nothing usual happened when the Properties panel was open and when I typed text. 

I would uninstall and reinstall--could be some corrupted files.

I'll try it on my tower later --I have the same video card installed. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the document package. We have been able to reproduce the issue and it is under review.

Sanyam Talwar

InDesign Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newly installed Indesign text tool crashes the program when using documents created in older version.

I have installed twice and use a PC.

How is this fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I will try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We've fixed this in the latest release. Please update your InDesign to v15.0.3 to get this fixed.

Here's a link with more details: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/37443781-indesign-crash...

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I have updated to v15.0.3 and this issue is still happening. It happens with a few different files. I've tried clearing the recovery cache and the file preferences cache and it's still happens. Can you please help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. We have recently released an update for InDesign 2020 (v 15.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on v15.1, then we recommend you to update to latest version and let us know how it goes. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

Me and my collegues are working with the 15.1.1 update and it keeps happening... It's a really anoying bug, can u please help?

Thanks in advance!
Stijn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stijn,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. I would request if you could share a few more details like:

• Which operating system you are working on?
  • In which version you noticed this behavior for the first time?
  • Is it intermitent or crashes always whenever you try to edit text. 
  • Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
  • Where the files are saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)?
  • Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently. 

We're here to help, just need more info.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines