Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2021 16.1 Problems

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a user that is facing some troubles with InDesign 2021, version 16.1 x64.

So, let’s start with the system specs:

HP Prodesk 490 G2 MT

Intel Core i7-4790S

16Gb of RAM

256Gb SSD

NVIDIA GeForce GT 710

Windows 10 Pro version 20H2 build 19042.928

The problems:

My colleague is working on a catalogue that has near 81mb, and 172 pages.

Yesterday, the InDesign hanged for several minutes, so she went to the Windows Task Manager and the aspect was:
ID.png

She ended the InDesign task.
This is our first problem. This appens several times, in diffent files, the InDesign just hangs and thats it, e can no longer no anything else to get it work.
Could you please tell me what we can do to stop this problem?
Do you have some recommendations? What we are doind wrong?

This happens with different versions of ID, we know that exists a new version, 16.2.1, but it was problems too, according the forum.

After the task killed, she tried to re-open the file, and the auto-recovery feature is not working, saying "ID has encountered a problem and need to close".
This is the report that we sent to Adobe through the form:

[crash report snipped by moderator]

Hope to get some help on this issues.

If there is any other information needed, please feel free to ask.

Thank you.

Crash Report <by moderator)

https://pastebin.com/KXDS1t1C

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I snipped out the crash report. Windows reports are virtually worthless and should not be posted here. Use pastebin.com and provide a link in the future.

Have you tried trashing preferences? Do you have any third party plugins such as font managers? Have you looked for corrupt fonts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @BobLevine,

Thank you for your answer.

So far, i done the following:

- Clear Caches and Preferences: https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

- Clear font Cache’s:  https://thegeekpage.com/fix-corrupted-fonts-on-windows-10/

- update the graphic card driver;

- sfc /scannow: ok

Tomorrow, i will leave some feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, while you apparently can't read those crash reports, others may at least get an idea out of them.

So please don't discourage folks to post crash reports.

Pastebin is a separate step that I would usually not take when looking at a message, besides I don't know how long that storage lasts.

Regarding the crash report:

The topmost activity is something about bullets and numbering of the paragraph panel. This happens in the larger scope of XML operations - such as loading a palette/window workspace. Trashing prefs is unlikely to fix a broken workspace XML file, if the problem persists Carlos may have more look temporarily removing custom workspace files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Dirk Becker,

Thank you for your post.
I'm waiting for feedback from my colleague, how was it today and then i will post it here. 

By the way, the hardware described on my first post, is enough to run InDesign without any problems?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dirk

I put the Crash Log back as a link.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eugene,

thanks, I already had a look at the crash log because I mostly read the forums by email - my archive dates back to 2003. That's how I came to guess about the palette workspace XML.

Carlos, as a Mac user I'm no expert for Windows hardware but to me that machine sounds ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to update to the last build. 16.2 afair is ready.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Geоrge,

I read that this version had some issues, so i'm avoiding to update for now. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read that 16.1 too have bugs. Every versions of ID have bugs. If you scare to update on your working PC then test new version on some test PC. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know @Geоrge, basically all versions comes with new bugs, or in some cases, with the old ones. 
I will wait a little more before update. 🙂 🙂
Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning,

Well, till now is all running ok. 🙂
Thank you all for your answers!

Cheers!
Carlos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the problem is back again. 😞 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Carlos Almeida FF Sounds so very frustrating for you! I'm on Windows 10 running 16.2.1 with no problems and basically the same CEP HTML Engine scripts running as you showed before. Have you upgraded beyond 16.1 yet? Are you getting the same crash report as before when trying to do the same task?

Sample-93.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @J E L,

No, still on the 16.1 version.
The problem (i am not a designer, a i'm an IT that is trying to solve the problem) is, according to my colleague, there isn't an action that causes the problem, yestarday she was searching for text, the ID hanged and stayed for 30/40 minutes, and we decide to kill it.

We lost some of the work done by my colleague, but after recovering the file, we try to search for something and it went ok. 😕

It's veeeeeeery frustrating.

Yesterday, someone from Adobe support told me that using files (images) that are stored on the Adobe Cloud could be a problem and cause issues like that, but that makes no sense, what's the point of the Adobe Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Carlos Almeida FF Wow, glad you were able to recover the file at least. You might suggest making the update to the latest version to see if that helps.

As for cloud-stored files, the problem usually stems from Internet connections and bandwidth fluctuations on both ends. If you are accessing via VPNs or networked systems, there are times when the sync isn't immediate which causes hangups. People like using clouds so they can free up disk space on local computers and to give multiple people access to up-to-date files, which is critical for version control. Personally, I don't like working with clouds or online storage systems when they are the only direct path to assets I'm working with because they tend to cause these type of problems. Storage space is inexpensive these days and I prefer having all assets immediately available to me and under my control, lol. But many times that is not an option for collaboration projects and you have to use a cloud. Let us know if the problem continues, okay?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines