We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.
I've been using InDesign's find & replace feature for color without issue. I'm finding certain docs in which this feature doesn't work. By that, I mean, the doc is searched and results in 0 instances found. I know there are many instances of that particular color swatch (I've check to make sure I'm selecting the correct color) and yet zero instances are found; in which case, I have to manually change those color swatches (painfully time consuming).
Sometimes the document I'm trying to change is from a previous version of InDesign (2020) and I'm currently working in 2021. But not ALL documents from 2020 present problems.
What would make the difference between docs that it works in most cases but not all?
Thanks for any insight!
Copy link to clipboard
It could be a bug in the feature but it seems like you haven't identified what makes some files work, and others not. If this issue happens with multiple files, you might troubleshoot by restoring your InDesign preferences to eliminate that as a possibility:
Thank you, Steve.
You're right...I cannot figure out why it happens with some documents and not others.
This morning, I thought I'd give it a try with a few docs I was having trouble with before restoring my preferences and voila! they all worked fine.
Keeping my fingers crossed!
Thank you again for the response.
I am having the same issue. We have a large document (72pages) that includes several tables. I was so happy to see this feature because the colors in our table cells have different meanings in the data displayed.
Here is our process. We import "place" different sheets from an Excel document. This automatically creates the tables we want. We then go into formatting mode. Even though the Excel sheets are all made from the same data, we get duplicate swatches from each import. We then go about using Find/Change Color to replace the imported swatches with the final clean print swatches we want.
Here are a few things that are happening (We have done this on PC and Mac by the way.):
1. The cells are automatically filled with the imported swatch color in many areas - at an Opacity setting of 39.99%. Find Change will only let me find a range - 1% - 100% and then replace it with a clean swatch at 100%. It would be nice to be able to find all the cells with that swatch color at the exact percentage of Opacity.
2. The problem is, some of the colors imported are used in multiple cells, some cells are filled at 100%, some at 39.99% of that same color swatch. We can't just delete the swatch, we have to know which cells are tinted and which aren't. That means we can't do a Change All. So we search and find/replace for all the 100% Opacity first. this seems to work well.
3. There are 8 final cell colors for the printed document. So after we have used the Find /Change Color for about 2 of the final colors, it stops working. It starts finding other colored swatches. It literally will find pink, when its only supposed to be looking for green. This means I can't trust it any more.
4. This has been fixed by restarting the PC a few times. But this last time, we realized we had a ton of duplicate swatches just showing up in our swatch menu that weren't there before. I really can't afford for this document to go corrupt on me.