• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2021 Crashes on launch on Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded InDesign to InDesign 2021 v16.0 this morning and it will not open.

It just fails to open (while the start-up screen says "Starting up Service Registry).

I have uninstalled and reinstalled with no change.

I have Windows 10 64-bit operating system.

Any advice on how to get it to work would be appreciated.

Dennis

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled InDesign, removed the previous settings and preference, resetting the program to its defaults.

And reintalled. Then it failed again, but at least this time I got a crash report.

Here is the start of that report: https://pastebin.com/4Qq8me7F

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Please check out the suggestion given on similar discussion(https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/error-opening-indesign-and-illustrator-2021-on-macos-catalin...) and let us know of that helps.
You may also try creating a new user account on your machine and see if the app is working there. Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This page isn't available. Try checking the URL or visit a different page"
And that link clearly is for a macOS, not a Win10.

I have the same issue, I updated InDesign today and now I am unable to get it to open.
It crashes every time. Restarted, tried running it as an administrator... 
Not working.

Please, some help ASAP, I have active projects!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't post a me-too and that fat stack trace at several levels nested in a foreign discussion.

The "PlugPlugLoadExtensionEx" in Mateja's crash could mean this is about startup of a CEP extension. If you have one of those try to remove/uninstall it.

Dennis has cut the relevant information from his crash so nothing to see there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mateja.
I get the same issue, with the same crash report.

Did you manage to fix it?

I have lot of new indd files which I can not open.

The convert option is not working either.

Adobe should make an option to load indd files from newer Indesign version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, no, I didn't manage to fix it.
I'm still running on the last functional version and I am unable to start any new version (there were two updates in the meantime, but they never fixed it).
I tried everything suggested on this thread but nothing worked. 
I was hoping they would address the issue in some of the updates, but obviously that's not the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link to the discussion goes to a page that does not exist.

The bug seems to be related to the preference setting. I did get InDesign 2021 to open this afternoon by removing my preferences and resetting to the defaults. But when I tried to use preferences again, the app would not open. 

I have removed my preference again, but it still will not open.

Quite frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problem with InDesign crashing while trying to launch. It was working one day and the next not. It works fine on my home computer but not my work computer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled about 20 times. I have tried running as an administrator but still nothing. I got an older version to work but can't open any documents I've already created and need to work on. Tried updating that older version and back to crashing again. I need this crazy program now. What do I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, you can check my post on the end of this thread (next page), maybe that will solve it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. The product team is looking into this issue. While it is being worked upon, I'd request installing the previous version(v15.1.2) of the app. Please follow instructions on how to do that in this help article.
Apologies for the inconvenience. We'll get back to you once we have an update.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on my mac OS catalina with InDesign and Illustrator 2021. I removed the fonts as suggested in the other post, but the apps still crash on start. Please solve it ASAP as I am in the middle of multiple projects. 

Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. I checked the crash report submitted by you on Wed, Oct 21. According to that application was crashing due to font errors.

Please try following these steps and let us know how it goes:

1. Close all Adobe applications.
  2. Choose Applications > Font Book.
  3. In the Collection column, choose All Fonts.
  4. To select all the fonts, select the top-most font in the Font column and press Cmd+A.
  5. Choose File > Validate Font.
  6. Delete the damaged or duplicate font.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed InDesign 2021 and reinstalled version 15.1.2. For now the app is working again. I will try some normal workflow tasks and see if it continues to be stable. When an upgrade is ready that fixes the bug, please let me know.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to join in on this conversation. I am also using Win 10 and with InDesign 2021. 

I uninstalled it, and reinstalled it, and everytime the program begins to load, the system gives me a BSOD.

My system continues to crash over and over again.  I have checked my memory and my hard drives.

I'm wondering if there is an issue with referencing external Hard Drives.   That's where all my working files reside.

Please help.

Thanks

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. It is currently under investigation and would need a few more details like:

• NFO file (Open System Info > File > Save it Creative cloud and share the download link).
    Steps to share file via Creative Cloud are shared here.
  • Logs from Event Viewer. 
    Press Windows+R to open the Run dialog, enter eventvwr (or eventvwr.msc) and hit OK. 
    Go to Windows Logs > Application and check if you see any error related to InDesign.
    event viewer.png
  • Share crash logs by following these steps: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html 
    While submitting the crash report please use the same email address, with which you are signed in on this community. This will help us find the crash report and help accordingly. 

Once done, try following these steps one by one and let us know how it goes:

• Remove third party plugins:
    Open the plug-in folder (Program Files > Adobe > Adobe InDesign > Plugins). 
    Remove third-party plug-ins and paste them to Desktop.
  • Remove corrupt fonts:
    Open Fonts folder in Control Panel.
    Select all the fonts, and copy and paste them in a folder on desktop.
    Trash the fonts from the Fonts folder.
    Copy and paste each batch of fonts from the desktop to Fonts folder and launch the application. If you are unable to launch the application, the damaged font exists in the Fonts folder.
    Identify and remove the damaged font, and relaunch the application.
  • If that doesn't help, try booting the system into Safe Mode (https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode) and check how it works there. It starts your system so that it performs certain checks and prevents third party software/ services from automatically loading or opening.
  • If that doesn't help either, login to Hidden Admin account (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfbMs3w-Z3s&t=53s). Check how the application works there. If it works fine there, then it could be related to permission errors. Follow these steps to repair permission errors:  https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/preferences-folder-read-only-issue.html

We're here to help, just need more info.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,
Thank you for your instructions. 

So,
I tried to run it in safe mode. [fail]
I also tried with fonts removed. [fail] 

I don't have an issue with permissions as I didn't change anything and all other Adobe apps are working. And I also checked folders you mentioned. Permissions are fine and are the same as for previous version(s).

I don't have any InDesign related event / error after I tried to start the app. Nothing new appeared in event viewer. 
Nothing worked.

Then I tried with a hidden admin account and I managed to start the app!

After that I switched back to my user and doublechecked permissions for all folders that were mentioned on the provided linke and everything is OK.

No permission is denied.

But the app still stops at loading panels stage. [fail]

Can't make it work! 

Am I missing something? 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the details. In this scenario, I would suggest clean installation of the application by following these steps:

1. Uninstall InDesign from Creative Cloud.

2. Remove all related folders manually from following locations:

• C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe  
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe
  • C:\Program Files\Adobe

3. Once done, restart your machine and reinstall the application.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work, I'm affraid. I'm still forced to use the old version which is a problem when working with people with the latest version as I have to ask for idml files all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -

I don't feel comfortable posting my system info to a semi-public forum.

If you have access to my cloud, under my account info... you can 2 files that are labeled starting with

dougf19006545

If there is a way for me to send them to you. Let me know.

As an FYI - I don't have any 3rd party plug-ins, and I recently went through all my fonts, removed misc ones from my system.

I had the system and adobe fonts on my my computer.

Thanks

Doug

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/f4fe196b-ad2f-42b8-77a4-ac519fd1c706

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I removed all links in my last email.  But the bottom one still appeared.  I disabled the link to that file.

If you wish to contact me directly, about the files I uploaded.  Please contact me.

Thanks

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have sent you a DM for more details. Please take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. App does not open. Had to install an old version to get my files. Completely unusable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about this trouble. I would request if you could share the crash logs and event viewer reports as suggested above in your free time. This will help us understand the issue and help you accordingly.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines