• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 6 is crashing when attempting to open a particular document. All others are opening OK.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a Mac (10.7.4 OS) and had just placed an image and saved. Now I can not open the doc in InD 6. Any ideas other  than starting over?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of image did you import? How have you done it?

It might help to export the file as IDML and open this file and save it again as INDD.

Ok, you have the problem to open the file. On the Swiss Forum HDS I have found a script:

http://www.hilfdirselbst.ch/foren/gforum.cgi?do=post_editlog;post=475991;

// blindOpen_and_IDML-Export.jsx

var _file = File.openDialog("InDesign-Datei"); // Selection of a file

if(_file != null)

{

var d = app.open(_file, false); // Open the file without showing it

d.exportFile(ExportFormat.INDESIGN_MARKUP,  File(_file.fullName.replace(/.indd$/i,'.idml'))); // Export im IDML-Format

d.close(SaveOptions.NO); // Close without saving

}

Save the text of this file and add the extension .js and put it in your script folder and run the script in Window > Utilites > Scripts > …

THis script helped me several times with a similar problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willi.

I used a .png image by placing it in a box

I tried saving the script you sent, it will not allow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2014 Jul 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DonPerrotta wrote:

Hi Willi.

I used a .png image by placing it in a box

…

Sorry, you did not answer the question? Did you link it?, you will see a link to an external file in the link panel or did you embed it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this script work on a Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I would have to have step by step guide to do this...I have never used scripts...I am using OS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK after reading 5 help topics I have leant to save text as .js and insert it into the right folder. Finally run the script and by miracle it run the script...

But the IDML file won't open . I will try to find a plug in...but that will be my last effort. I am almost ready to start rebuilding from scratch.

Stranfely the IDML file is 124 bites, while INDD was 250 MB how could that be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.idml files don't have image previews, among other things so they are very small. Did ID crash opening the .idml?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2014-08-01 at 00.51.07.png

no, it did not crash- it refused to open

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2014 Aug 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure there is no .idlk file in the same folder left over from the previous crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have moved .idlk files following your comment. But the same pop up appears, which I posted in previous comment.

I am almost ready to give up on this. Thanks a lot of showing me scripts - I never knew about them, which shows the degree of my knowledge ...

It was quite an exciting discovery.

If you have any advice how best to bring a file and use it as template when I start again on new doc, I will be grateful. What do I need to do to prevent all this happening all over again..?

Many thanks for your help. You did more than our IT guy...who told me that because I lost some links on the way when adapting the old doc, the problems occurred.

And there was no way to solve it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've opened another .idml from a different project without any problem, so it is the issue still within this file, which created faulty .idml

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread might prove helpful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5072428 (though you'll need to find a Windows machine).

Do you have a crash report? If so post it on Pastebin.com and put a link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2013 Feb 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter!

I don't have a Windows machine with ID on it

here's a link to the log on pastebin - thx for your help!

http://pastebin.com/JQ5Ndkbz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks as if it could be a bad link (probably a bad image file, which goes along with your description). If you can move the links temporarily so ID can't find them in the specified path the file might open. Moving only the last one you placed may do it.

If that works, open and resave the image and try placing it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter!!

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I actually deleted the images from my pic folder on my Mac. that did not help.

Anything else to try??

thx

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willi's Script?

I'm running out in a few minutes, but if you want to send me the file I'll see what I can do here when I get back (with no promise of success). Click my name to go to my profile, then send me a link to the file in a Private Message, or you can post a link here publickly and see if someone else can help sooner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure how to run the script.

I'll put the file in and send you a link

thx for looking at it!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter - not familiar with pastebin. Is  that where I would put the file for you??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pastebin is only for a crash report . upload your document package to dropbox.com or wikisend.com and you can copy a download link to send to peter via a private message.

mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx Mike - i have sent Peter a link to the doc in dropbox

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know if the damage was done in transit, or before, but the file won't open here and trying to run the recovery tool I mentioned yields a bad file signature error. You can try zipping the file and upload again, but it may be toast.

I don't suppose there's any backup copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2016 Oct 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wondering, how do these scripts work on a Mac? I have the exact same issue with an important InDesign File in CC2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines