• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign and PDF comments: extremely slow

Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately I've been doing a lot of publications and importing PDF comments into InDesign. But approving each change is extremely slow. Between 10–15 seconds for each one. Anyone else suffering poor performace? Anything can be done to improve this?

InDesign v14.0.3

MacOS 10.14.5

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the rest of your system specs? RAM? SSD? Processor?
Have you tried InDesign 2020?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel, 

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with InDesign. I would request if you can share a few more details like:

1. Does this happen on a specific file?
  2. Where are the files saved, locally or on any network or shared drive?
  3. Do you use any third-party plugin?
  4. Have you tried updating to the latest version which is InDesign 2020?

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just timed it: average time to accept a single word text change from PDF Comments tool is 23 seconds. As I have 430 text changes to make, almost three hours to accept these changes. It's a great tool but it's just not practical to use it currently.

1. This happens on several files in the last week.

2. The files are locally saved to the internal solid state drive

3. The only plug-in installed is APID ToolAssistant

4. Same issue with both 2019 and 2020 versions of InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much RAM do you have? What processor? Have you tried disabling the plugin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure you've never used this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, we are already in 2023, and we still have this problem, it's not a matter of processor, Raw, etc. We have a bug, and it happens on PC, MAC, new or old. I left files in the link (indesign.uservoice):

InDesign and PDF comments: extremely slow 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue and am working on a 530 page document. It's just too time consuming to work this way. I want to manually enter the edits but can't figure out how to remove the PDF comments from the document. Even without using the feature the document is dragging. Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Eliza5C49 My tips would be remove any GREP styles in your paragraph styles. They seem to be the biggest factor towards the slow crawl of PDF changes. If you want to delete PDF comments, go to the PDF comments panel, click on the hamburger preferences icon, click "Delete All Comments". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having problems with PDF Comments as well. I'm using CC19 on a 464-page book (my client needs it to stay in CC19, so I can't use 20 or 21 which, I hope, have better versions of this feature). After each "Accept" I have to wait about 10 seconds for the change to be made. The PDF Comments window occasionally freezes, so I have to close it, reopen it, and scroll back down to where I left off. Then at times the window starts scrolling down on its own and I can't stop it. Have to close the window and reopen it again. Pretty frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Literally using this feature is a disaster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave up on using PDF Comments altogether. It's much faster to just have Acrobat open on one side of the screen and InDesign on the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if the indesign team made an improvement for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will we have improvements to this feature. For God's sake, that would have to be a priority. He's amazing, but he's extremely slow with some markings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look how long it takes! The video is longer than 8 minutes. And in each new version, this is slower. Text exchange markings are fast and effective, but markings with a geometric figure line take time and leave the computer locked, both on PC or MAC, new and old. Please this is very useful, but the way it is is making this feature unfeasible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. This is a great feature, but it's just not practical. Lags are so loooooooooooong. Adobe, you took our money – when will you fix this???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For many years I had this problem, I used iMac, Macbook, M1, Intel and always had issues with display settings and performance, in high definition and low as well, but sometimes I noticed that it didn't slow down as much. I produce various magazines, and what left me wondering was that a 220-page magazine seemed to be less slow than a 64-page magazine. After various tests, I realized that files with more than 40, 50 pages, the PDF comments practically kill InDesign, after struggling I managed to solve it in the following way: I split the only 64-page file I had for the magazine into 4 files and combined them into an indb. Voilà, it worked! Try splitting your book files into several indd files and combine them into an indb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a 64 page magazine and the PDF comment workflow is unusable. So the length of document is not it. It's also not the doing-changes operation that is slow, it's the selection/highlighting/jumping to entries in the PDF-comments pannel that's unusably laggy. I have this on one slightly older but still quite fast Windows10 machine and one extremly fast modern Windows 11 Workstation. To me it felt like the problem appeared with one of last updates in 2023. Before that i was using this workflow intensivly for years and it was brilliant. Reading this thread, it seems the trigger for the problem seems to lie elsewhere. Maybe its the way the comments are done in the PDF-Document. Maybe it's something to do with the "Users"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same Problems on modern enviroment (M1 Mac).  Working on large Indesign-Files (500pages+, no Book Splitting) was good and fast before 2023 Versions. The Problem clearly comes in 2023, before it was fine.

Therefore, I am shure, it has nothing to do with RAM, GREP-Styles and so on.

In my case – it only slows down, when the comments are made with the normal comment-Tool in Acrobat (Speach-Bubble-Symbol) and when the Comments-Symbol is located over a Text-Box.
When working with the specific Comment-Text-Tools (marked Text, delete Text, insert Text …) then, everything ist ok.

Maybe – that helps someone…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines