• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Animation Moving Images

Contributor ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a lovely animation effect on page 1 of this interactive file Published Online:

https://indd.adobe.com/view/3684ee97-f561-4e66-a106-602c97a72467

The photos in the background are moving slowly right to left. What animation effect was used here?

My attempt is a little 'jerky' in some places as my images scroll over and it stops short of showing all of the images. I used Fly in from Right with a 20 sec duration. I'm not sure which to select in the Animate area, i.e., "From Current Appearance" or  "to Current Appearance/Location".  I have fifteen images grouped and I'd like them to continuously scroll then repeat. 

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019
I thought that making it all one image would fix the problem (exporting group as JPEG). It did not. However, I simply deleted the right-most image and it seems to work fine now. In this sample, page 1 is the separate images you sent, page 2 is the JPEG (all one image). I wonder if you've reached some undocumented limit to width? https://indd.adobe.com/view/0f49e0d2-cfd9-4adc-a77e-2cb2d301eb65. It's almost like the entire series is about an inch too long, as that's what's left to display when it ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would do this as follows:

-- group images in InDesign

-- set left side of group on left side of page

-- choose preset "Move left."

-- select motion path and extend to the left (turn on animation proxy to make sure group ends on right-most image)

-- increase duration

Here's a screen shot of the setup for a single graphic, the example is here: https://indd.adobe.com/view/2da33f1b-9d4e-4a49-bdde-45ce7fd97b1e

Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 10.23.30 AM.png

As for looping, that's hard to do. But frankly, will anyone stay on the page that long? I've viewed the sample file you gave many times and today is the first time I've sat through to the end; it doesn't loop.

If you haven't seen it already, check out these other great examples of Publish Online projects: http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the loop check box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea, but.... doesn't do what you want here. What you want is that as the right-most image moves left across the page, the left-most image is right next to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Sorry, just getting used to the new forum format, pressed RET). What happens when you use "Loop," either in the Animation panel or the Timing panel, is the whole thing starts over. Gives you an ugly blip. It would be nice if we could time when a loop occurs. I discuss this in my 5+ hr course on LinkedInLearning (Lynda.com). http://bit.ly/IDAnimations-LIL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read "I have fifteen images grouped and I'd like them to continuously scroll then repeat" as loop. Any way I hope you find a solution. These new forums are unusable. Giving up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PIckory, you were correct in your assumption. I changed my mind after I posted. Thanks for the good wishes. I'm making process. Just need to tweak a few more things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Diane, you are correct -- I don't need it to loop.

Using your direction below I am making progress but after every few images that go by, it stops for a quick micro-moment and carries on again, like it hit a bump. Is that something I can adjust in the motion path? I need to get used to moving/altering the motion path using the 'Direction Selection Tool'.

I do see the animation proxy gray area but I don't think it's in the right area. I don't understand how to make sure it's in the right place. I assume its location is determined by the motion path. It's something I need to play with. 

Also, to confirm... I don't need to adjust anything in the Properities area, i.e., "from/to Current Appearance/Location/origin point', correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm... I'm not sure why you're images are stopping. The motion path should be straight--you extend it with the Selection tool, no need for the Direct Selection tool. And the animation proxy's location (and that of your image when it finishes animating) is controlled by the length of the motion path. Be happy to look at your file and see what's going on if you like. Also, one more note: if you are simply using the EPUB Preview panel, it sometimes does not give the results of Publish Online and you need to publish it to be sure of its behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah... yes, I was thinking it may be the ePub preview window that is giving the false rhythm. Thank you for the very kind offer Diane. I will play a bit more with it and let you know. PS, when I do use the Selection Tool to change the motion path, it also moves the object and I don't want it moved from the position as shown in the example above (left side of group on left side of page)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, let me know if you need additional help. BTW, the Selection tool won't move the entire object. Click on the object; you'll se the motion path. Then click on the motion path to select it. Finally, grab the endpoint and you can move it easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should say "you can lengthen/shorten (instead of move) easily"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. some success. I was able to lengthen/shorten the path it when I selected the far left end point, but when I select and move the far right end point, that's when it moves my object with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All motion paths have a beginning point and an end point. You can see which is which: the beginning point is a circle and the end point has a small arrow. You can only move the end point. In your case, you cannot move the far right point. But you don't need to; that will always be at the center of the animated object, just move the left side and adjust your image as needed to position correctly. You can see the endpoints when you click on the object, once you click on the motion path they both look the same, which is a bit confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very helpful information!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diane, all is good except for a 'stall' at the very end. I have swapped out the confidential images and replace with PUPPIES! Let me know if you know if you can easily determine the cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard to say by looking at this. Possible to package and send the InDesign file? Be happy to take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just posted download link below - thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that making it all one image would fix the problem (exporting group as JPEG). It did not. However, I simply deleted the right-most image and it seems to work fine now. In this sample, page 1 is the separate images you sent, page 2 is the JPEG (all one image). I wonder if you've reached some undocumented limit to width? https://indd.adobe.com/view/0f49e0d2-cfd9-4adc-a77e-2cb2d301eb65. It's almost like the entire series is about an inch too long, as that's what's left to display when it jerks at the end. Can you cut an image or reduce the overall width of the images and try that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, last night I tested having less images and it worked great. So I can certainly reduce images/lessen the width. Many thanks Diane for your time and the diagnosis! I am enjoying getting to know these great animation features in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Moderators, please mark this post as solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines