Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2019 freezes on Win10

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

After two days of testing brand new InDesign CC 2019 on Win 10, I have so many freezes, so I had to came back to previous version of ID. Do anyone had this same problem? Do you have any solution for that?
Thnx

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Hi there,

We are sorry to hear about this. For performance issues on Windows please try these steps and share results:

https://indesignsecrets.com/6-tips-speed-up-indesign.php

In case this does not help, please try resetting preferences for Illustrator:

• Close all Adobe applications.
  • Go to Locations :
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe.
  • Rename InDesign folders to InDesign.old. (Zip InDesign.old folder and upload it to Creative Cloud/ Dropbox/ Google Drive and share i

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue. I updated my InDesign CC to v14 yesterday. It seemed to be running ok. Today though, it keeps freezing and it seems to be related to any tables I'm trying to edit in my document. This is worrisome and very inconvenient since we've got deadlines. Is there a solution for this freezing issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Win 10 PC -- Updated yesterday... looked at one file.  since then I've not been able to open ANY INDD file in either 2018 or 2019  - ID locks up while trying to open the file..  Didn't uninstall 2018 since I have a client project due out today, not that it ended up helping me. Now I can't do anything.  Getting ready to uninstall & pray that it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry to hear about this. For performance issues on Windows please try these steps and share results:

https://indesignsecrets.com/6-tips-speed-up-indesign.php

In case this does not help, please try resetting preferences for Illustrator:

• Close all Adobe applications.
  • Go to Locations :
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe.
  • Rename InDesign folders to InDesign.old. (Zip InDesign.old folder and upload it to Creative Cloud/ Dropbox/ Google Drive and share it with us)
  • Launch InDesign from CC.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@srishtib8795206 You're right. Old user profile probably is the problem. I deleteted my previous version's desktop settings and still freezes but only in the beginning of work and only with previous version's docs.

@AnshulJain19 It happens with older version's docs when you click on anything (icons, menus etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this and it is still not working.  I have 2 other designers in my department and both of them are having the same Issue. It is specifically when we click the type tool in a text box in InDesign CC 2019, the program freezes and you are unable to do anything. I have tried every suggestion I can find on this topic and I have now had it. It now needs to be fixed. The installation was a standard install from Apps in Adobe Creative Cloud. We are all running Windows 10 Pro, Version 1803 OS build 17134.345 Core i7's 16gb RAM.  This is seriously holding us as we are trying complete deadlines. Our annual fees are costing a ridiculous sum of money, you would think the updates would be tested properly before they go public.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pho8os  wrote

I have tried this and it is still not working.  I have 2 other designers in my department and both of them are having the same Issue. It is specifically when we click the type tool in a text box in InDesign CC 2019, the program freezes and you are unable to do anything. …

Hi Pho8os ,

if you mean "trashing preferences and caches" with this, you are right.

Trashing preferences and caches is a remedy for a different issue.

The issue with a delay when using the Text tool the first time in a session is coupled with the presence of the Control panel.

Restart InDesign, close the Control panel. Do not use the Character panel, close the Character panel.

Instead use the new Properties panel, and you'll see no delay.

This is just a workaround until a bug fix is out.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks All for the suggestions, unfortunately, none of them worked. However, the new InDesign update Adobe just released has fixed the issue with it freezing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We shouldn't have to do any of this.
Fix your apps!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Can you please mention some details about what makes InDesign to hang, like if there are some steps you are doing in a specific document which makes InDesign to hang.

Please send all relevant documents at ansjain@adobe.com.

It will help us in narrowing down the issue.

Thanks

-Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having the same issue.

I open an INDD-file that was created with v2018 and INDD hangs. CPU goes up to 60 % and more. I have a Surface Pro LTE i5 with Win 10.

Added: After I killed the process from Task Manager the InDesign Window is still visible! The task has disappeared from the task list, but the CPU usage is still up over 60%. When I sort the tasks by CPU usage they don't add up to the shown sum. About 60% are missing. Something is still running in the background that does not show in task manager.
I opened sysinternal process explorer. Here I could see InDesign and kill it.

@Adobe: every app of CC that I touched so far (incl. Photoshop) has massive issues that prevent you from working with it. Adobe released really bad and buggy updates before, but this is by far the worst I have ever experienced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you installed did you elect to migrate the preferences and settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did.

After the InDesign process got finally killed I restarted InDesign with the key options to delete the autosave files. InDesign started and I could create a new document. I will try the old document again in a few minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an external 4K monitor. The surface monitor is below the external one. After closing InDesign and re-opening it again it was double the width of the ext. monitor and more than double the height. I can't change the window size anymore, because it is out of reach. That's window size on the external monitor. I can still bring it to maximum view, but can't resize the height in window mode.InDesign2019.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After clearing the user profile on start of InDesign I was able to open my old document and work on it. The size of the window was also usable. But the panels on the right like Properties, Pages, CC Libraries,... were all empty. I needed to click on the tab of each one to have it filled with controls.

What did the InDesign team do to mess up the app so much?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same. It looks like we need to start from the scratch with new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is most aggravating...I got it to work finally, but now have to reset all my preferences etc. It didn't even save my workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. I would request if you can share your feedback here: https://indesign.uservoice.com/

This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

I have a problem understanding. I know that this officially a user forum, but Adobe staff is monitoring and helping. In general there are usage issues where user can help and there are (way too many) serious bugs in the software (like in this thread). So when an obvious bug is discovered, and we already have to deal with unpaid time and work loss, why do we have to spend even more time and post it at a different forum again. Why can't Adobe staff do that work, that should be done by Adobe anyway? Or why does Adobe not pay customers for spending their time and do the work that quality control was supposed to do and got paid for. (This release of CC is again a disaster that we pay for twice with our money and our unpaid time. I'm really fed up with it!)

Marcus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcus,

Here are a couple reasons why the InDesign User Voice website is a better place to post bugs and feature requests:

(1) A bug report requires that you include certain information necessary for testing it out. In forums, people typically leave out most of the essential infomation. A bug report prompts you for what's necessary or provides a mechanism for querying you for that infomation.

(2) On User Voice, the bug reports and feature requests are clearly separated from each other are and visible to all visitors and the engineers. Other people can add information in an organized way. For feature rquests, users can vote to agree with others' requests.

(3) The User Voice system is monitored continuously, and is trackable. The forums are being monitored regularly now because a new release has come out, but other times (like when the engineers are developing new products or are on holiday are less frequently observing.j

That's why people like me keep pushing everyone to post their reports there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open an old (CC 2018 or earlier) or new document (made in CC 2019), the document opens fine. When I double-click in a text box, it freezes. I Have to manually end the task through task manager. Restarted computer and nothing happens. I can save the files to .idml files and open in 2018 and they work fine. I cannot use CC 2019. This only occurred after two days of using 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Close the Control Panel and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is "the solution".

Close the WINDOW Fonts in InDesign and restart InDesign. You will see the a normal start-up and by opening your document, it opens as it has to open. Try these, for me this worked well!

To see the fonts, you can open the Window "Properties", there you can find the font you're using now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still happening for me. Opening an older document, clicking to edit text, clicking the text tool in a NEW document, etc. Hangs constantly, nearly every time I have it open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi whatyouare ,

this bug is not fixed yet.

And it is tied to the Control panel.

Turn it off you'll see no lag. Turm it on again and the bug is back immediately.

Add your voice here:

Problem with changing the cursor to text – Adobe InDesign Feedback

And vote to fix the issue.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines