• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC Shift Key not working

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2014 Apr 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally I'd just hold the shift key down to resize an image or object in InDesign CC to constrain its proportions. Lately when I try to resize an image, the shift key doesn't do anything anymore. It no longer holds the proportions of the image box. Is there a way to fix this problem or is there a new tool that replaces the hot key shortcut? Transform > Scale is taking way too much time to resize an image to the proper size I need it to be.

Any and all help is very appreciated.

-Jon

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 25, 2015 Aug 25, 2015

Hello Carol, I posted a fix that worked for me perfectly, it was webroot virus scanning software. I turned it off, and the problem disappeared. I only run it at night, when I’m not working. An apple tech told me virus scan software can interfere with key commands.

Not sure if this is your issue, but hope it helps. My macbook pro was fine, the software wasn’t installed on it, it was the mac pro with the virus scanning software that had the issue.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 136 Replies 136
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2015 Jan 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem - could not constrain scale objects using shift, control and command, but they were working fine in my CS6 version.

I installed an update through Adobe App manager, then restarted my mac.

After that it worked fine - must have just been a bug that either the update sorted out or the restart did, or both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was Smart Guides for me too. Macbook pro, InDesign CC2014. I cannot live without Shift>command resizing so glad it's back but the loss of smart guides is a drag. Cmon Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have smart guides off by default so that resizing proportionally works - Hold CTRL when moving items & you temporarily see the smart guides - it's fine once you get used to it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix worked for me!!  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's a new year and Adobe still hasn't addressed this.  It's very frustrating!  Oh well, I guess I'll lose 15 minutes of productivity restarting my mac because Indesign magically loses it's ability to constrain using the shift key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After digging around for over 1/2 an hour I might be a step closer to figuring this out.  I force quit all of my microsoft products... word, excel and ppt and voila my shift key starts working.  So if you encounter this, try force quitting programs one at a time until you find the offender.  I think mines MS Word, as everything was working fine until a little after opening a word doc.  interesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! This worked for me. I tried many other suggestions here but what worked for me is closing PowerPoint and then restarting my MacBook Pro, since closing PowerPoint alone, or even restarting InDesign was not quite enough. Yay for having my shift key back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - quitting Outlook (the only MS office app open at the time) worked for me - so weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU! Closing Word is what helped me figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2015 Apr 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have problems using InDesign CC 2014 on my iMac with shift constrain as well as shift option copy. At the mention of Webroot by users above, I looked at the settings, at the top right of the Mac screen when I click on the round green "w" Webroot icon (up near the time and wifi indicators) and found "Pause Secure Keyboard Entry". Once I check this option, both features work. In fact, the flaw itself toggles off and on with this button on my system. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2015 May 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this totally worked!!!! I've gone months without using shift and option cmnd! Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Took 1 second and voila!! Fixed!

Thank you  osculator for making it easy once again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2015 Apr 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Underneath the "Fit Content..." tools on the toolbar, there is an Auto-Fit box. I checked that and my proportional scaling is working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2015 May 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed it for me:  Uninstall InDesign using the uninstaller (located in the InDesign folder) make sure to check the box to remove Prefs also.  Then using Adobe Application Manager reinstall InDesign CC 2014.  Of course you will have to set your prefs again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2016 Mar 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a whole different function. Not an solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2016 May 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU ARE A GENIUS. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2015 May 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaaargh!! Ok, it happened to me also! Only in Indesign. Man, than you know how often you use dragging with shift pressed. I cannot work wit Indesign now.

Sorry Adobe, do I have to reinstall??? CC CLoud, latest version - worked till today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same problem, and quitting Microsoft applikations, turning smart guides on/off doesn't makes any difference.

Sometimes it's enough "just" to restart InDesign but more often I need to restart the computer (has also tried just to delete InDesign's pref file, but that doesn't solve  it).

Really frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also been having the same problem, and it does appear to be related to Webroot (or Webfoot, as autocorrect gives us). Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those having this problem with Webroot, there is a solution, thanks to their support dept:

Moderator Moderator

JamesG

Re: InDesign on Mac

[ New ]

Hello @commnews,

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

I see that you have both a consumer and a business license so I was curious as to which you are seeing this issue on?

Due to the unique way in which keyboard shortcuts work on the Mac OS, the secure keyboard entry feature may prohibit shortcut functions in a variety of applications. This includes, but is not limited to, Adobe Creative Suite Products, Macro applications, or some built in features that are triggered by key combinations—such as Dictation and Speech.

This can be resolved by clicking the Webroot icon located on the top right of the menu bar, then clicking “Pause Secure Keyboard Entry.”

If this does not work for you, I would advise creating a support ticket so that we can investigate and whitelist any files that may be monitored on your system.

You can create a support ticket here.

Please let me know if pausing the secure keyboard entry works, or if you have any other updates from support.

Best Regards,

James G.

Webroot Community Support Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so happy I found this post I have been searching all day for a solution! Found another thread that mentioned webroot, but no one said how to fix it!!!

THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem as everyone here... shift-scale not working... spacebar hand tool not working... Noticed this post about Webroot — which was a very recent install. So I simply paused Secure Keyboard Entry on Webroot and all INDD functionality is back! Thank you rkeck1 and James G.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. I got that information, and it works!! Thanks.

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 11:59 AM, eBookDesignWorks <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines